Description: In a photograph, the foreground is the portion of the frame that is closest to the camera. The foreground space in an image can be utilized to draw attention to a subject located further into the frame, for example with leading lines, or it can be used to frame the subject. In landscape photography in particular, it’s a good idea to remember not to neglect foreground space in order to add interest.
How To Create Unique Compositions With Foreground Elements
Foreground elements in your photographic compositions can have the following affects on an image:
- Add Depth – A foreground element can add depth to a scene. Just like a background can give the viewer perspective in relation to the subject of the photograph, a foreground can have a similar affect.
- Give Storytelling Context – A foreground element can give the viewer context to help tell a story. What’s in the foreground? Can you use that object to add to the story?
- Conceal unappealing elements – A foreground element can also conceal unappealing elements in a scene.
- Frame your subject – A foreground element can also create a natural frame your subjects.
Here are steps and considerations for creating unique compositions with foreground elements:
- Find foreground
- Glasses, Candles, Crystal, Etc.
- Shoot from the shadows: Frame and compose
- Use long lenses (85mm/70-200mm)
- Expose for desired ambiance
- Wide apertures for bokeh
- If needed, light the foreground
- Add controlled light via grid/zoom
- Constant = flash 1/16-1/32
- Analyze histogram/highlight alert
Related Articles to Foreground Definition
Cherry Blossom Photoshoot Tips | Capturing the Beauty of Spring
Spring is a season of new beginnings, and what better way to celebrate than by capturing the beauty of cherry…
7 Landscape Photography Composition Tips for Better Photos
Do you ever feel that your outdoor photos are lacking that ‘wow’ factor? Our landscape photography composition tips will hopefully…
Athletic Portraits Using High Speed Sync | Slice of Pye
Learn how to get dynamic athletic portraits using high-speed sync in our new episode of Slice of Pye!
Improve Your Night Photography With Foreground Lighting
One of the biggest challenges when it comes to night photography is incorporating good foreground elements, but learning a few…
How To Use Inexpensive String Lights To Make Foreground Bokeh
Using a string of lights at our last engagement session, we made some pretty awesome foreground bokeh. Here’s how we did it.