Sigma Rumor Update: What Lenses Are We Most Likely To See Over the Next Year?
Thanks to the huge success of their ART line of lenses, Sigma is now one of the most popular lens makers on the public’s mind. The plus side is that it provides some great performance and price competition to the name brand lens makers, the negative side is the huge increase in Sigma lens rumors.
It seems like every month there is a new Sigma rumor regarding some fabled Canon/Nikon lens killer. It is hard to keep up with all of the talk about Sigma lenses these days, which is why I was pretty interested to find this post over on Sigma Rumors with a collection of all the rumors. The nice twist to the post, is that instead of just sharing the rumors, the author gave us the probability for each one.
Now, he doesn’t share what went into each probability number. For all we know, it is really just whatever he thinks in probability form. But still, it is a nice thing to see what the most likely Sigma releases for 2014/2015 are. If you would like to check out the full listing you can find it here, I have grabbed a few of the bigger lenses for my list below…
5 Lenses I Most Want To See From Sigma in 2014-2015
- 135mm F/1.8 or F/2 with IS – I am a HUGE fan of the Canon 135mm F/2L, and I would love to see something from Sigma in this space. According to the Sigma Rumors post, a Sigma 135mm Art lens is a 70% probability for 2014-2015.
- 24mm F/1.4 Art – If Sigma is looking to solidify its position in the prime lens arena, then a 24mm F/1.4 is a logical next step. It would make a great companion for anyone with the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 or the Sigma 50mm f/1.4. SR puts the probability of a 24mm F/1.4 at 99%.
- 24-70mm F/2 – Anyone who has seen the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, but owns a full frame camera, has been drooling for a 24-70mm F/2 or something similar. Unfortunately, SR has the probability of a lens like this at only 40%.
- 85mm f/1.4 Art – Sigma already has one of the best 85mm F/1.4 lenses on the market with their current model. But if they want to close out the prime lens market, they will need to have an art version of the 85mm F/1.4. SR has the probability for this lens at 99%.
- 300-600mm OS Sports – Being a sports shooter, I would love a lens like this. It would be the perfect compliment to the Sigma 120-300mm F/2.8. Sigma needs to give some attention to their Sports designation. SR puts probability of a 300-600mm at 80%.
If you place any stock in what SR’s probabilities are – which I don’t blame you if you don’t – then I should be a pretty happy camper over the next year or so from Sigma. I am curious, though, what you are all most interested in seeing from Sigma this year.
What are your thoughts on these probabilities? How much salt are you adding to this rumor? Leave a comment below.
via Sigma Rumors