Shopping for a backpack that will keep your photography equipment safe and organized without breaking the bank? With a plethora of backpacks options out there, each with different sizes, features, and quality levels, the decision is not always an easy one. In a previous article, we presented the Best Camera Bags, and in this article, we’re diving in and narrowing down further to showcase our picks for the best camera backpacks for carrying DSLRs, mirrorless cameras, lenses and accessories.
What to Look for In a Camera Backpack
Depending on the type of photography you’re currently engaged in, a lot of factors must come into play before you decide on the best camera backpack for you. It is best to look into what type of equipment you often bring, whether you’ll need something that is weather-resistant or rugged, or choosing between a professional or casual-looking bag. In particular, answer these questions before making the purchase:
- Does the style match my use? For example, you wouldn’t want to take a backpack with a outdoor aesthetic to a wedding.
- Does it carry all (or most) of my gear? Check the capacity, read the reviews, and pay attention to the dimensions to ensure that the backpack is big enough for your gear but not too bulky for your needs.
- Do I need it to be weatherproof? The weatherproof sealing will be critical if you plan on hiking or camping with the backpack.
- Do I need it for everyday use? Some camera backpacks double as an everyday laptop bag!
Best Everyday Camera Backpacks
Let’s start with the category of “everyday” camera backpacks. These backpacks are versatile in appearance and functionality, ideal for everyday commuting, traveling, photo excursions.
The Peak Design Everyday Backpack V2 is our pick for the camera backpack. It’s light, stylish and durable. While many bags carry more gear, non combine style and functionality quite like this one.
This backpack can support up to 30L while weighing only at 2 kilos, maximum- because it is made with 400D double poly-coated DWR-nylon canvas shell and anodized aluminum/glass “UltraZips” along with 900D waterproof bottom liner!
- Space for a 15-inch laptop
- Compartment for a 10-inch tablet
- Can fit one to two full size cameras
- Can fit four to five lenses
- Comes with dividers that form as shelves
What Makes it Unique:
- “UltraZips” weatherproof zips suitable for one-handed access.
- “FlexFold” detachable minimal padding dividers for keeping your accessories organized.
Verdict: The Peak Design Everyday Backpack is the best camera backpack for travel photography and for photographers who want to also use it as an everyday laptop backpack.
Considered to be one of the heavy-hitters when it comes to build material and design, the Wandrd Prvke is a top choice for photographers who prioritize durability. Unlike other camera backpacks, it is built with Robic 1680D Ballistic Nylon and waterproof tarpaulin. This backpack is capable of withstanding the typical wear and tear while giving your camera maximum protection against weather-induced concerns.
Donning the unique tote-style appeal, photographers (even with small body frames) can easily carry this 2-kilo backpack with its foam back panels and padded shoulder straps.
- Compartment for a 15-inch laptop
- Can house a pro-size DSLR with its lens attached
- Dividers for 3 small lenses and a flash
What Makes it Unique:
- Expandable roll top for additional 5L capacity.
- Removable camera cube so you can transform the backpack for casual or light use.
- Magnetic tote handles for easy-grabbing.
A photographer does not only work his magic after an image is captured. A lot of the awesomeness comes alive during post-processing. This is one of the main reasons why most photographers have to carry their trusted laptops with them.
The good thing is, the Tenba DNA 15 offers a practical, all-around, weatherproof solution for keeping your camera and your laptop with you at all times. Compared to other camera backpacks, the Tenba DNA 15 offers a sturdy build that comes close from the quality of other items in this list.
- Laptop compartment for a 15-inch laptop.
- Ideal space for a mirrorless or DSLR with 4-6 lenses.
- Minimal area for accessories (battery, business cards and SD cards).
- Side pocket for a tripod (must be secured with built-in side traps).
What Makes it Unique:
- Slide-out compartment is a stand-out from other backpacks as you can access items with greater ease.
- Roll top entrance is ideal for reaching items located in the cavernous interior.
Best Hiking Camera Backpacks
The Shimoda Explore V2 25L is a durable and versatile backpack designed for photographers who need to carry a lot of gear. It features a customizable interior with removable dividers, allowing you to create compartments for your camera, lenses, and other accessories. The backpack is also weather-resistant, with a waterproof coating and durable zippers to protect your gear from the elements. The straps are comfortable and adjustable, making it easy to carry the backpack for extended periods of time. Overall, the Shimoda Explore V2 25L is a great option for photographers who need a reliable and functional backpack to transport their gear on outdoor shoots or trips.
The Think Tank Mindshift Rotation 34L Camera Backpack is designed specifically for adventure photographers who need to carry a lot of gear on outdoor expeditions. With a customizable interior that can accommodate a variety of camera bodies, lenses, and accessories, the backpack provides ample space for all your photography equipment. It also features a unique rotating belt pack that allows you to quickly access your gear without having to take off the backpack. The backpack is weather-resistant, with a waterproof cover that protects your gear from rain and other elements. Overall, the Think Tank Mindshift Rotation 34L Camera Backpack is an excellent choice for adventure photographers who need a durable and functional backpack to carry their gear on outdoor shoots.
Other Versatile Camera Backpacks
Let’s review other versatile camera backpacks, designed for outdoor adventures or everyday photo excursions.
Need a backpack that can accommodate A LOT of camera gear and fit in an airplane cabin? Then, the Lowepro ProTactic BP 350 AW II is for you!
This 2-kilo backpack features ballistic nylon construction with padded compartments to safeguard cameras. It also has a pull-out waterproof cover to protect against rain or dirt.
- Compartment for a 13-inch laptop
- Modifiable dividers to fit one drone
- Can fit a medium-sized tripod
- Can store DSLR with 24-70 mm f2/8 lens attached
- Compartment for a GoPro
- Space for a 360 camera
What Makes it Unique:
- Comes with a hip belt for paid-in accessories such as ProTactic Bottle Pouch, ProTactic phone case, and utility bag.
- Built-in frontal loops for additional accessories and items that won’t fit the bag.
- Designed with a top-access zips, side-access, and a U-shaped back opening that suits every photographer’s preferred access mode.
This sturdy, well-built camera backpack is ideal for those who want to carry all the gear they need on a long hike. The nylon exterior and thick padding provide protection from bumps and bruises while you walk along trails in search of your perfect shot.
It also has lots of pockets (both inside and out), adjustable shoulder straps with waist belt included, so it can be worn comfortably and with stability.
- Compartment for a drone.
- Space for a 13-inch laptop.
- A divider for a pro DSLR with lens (up to 70-200 mm f2/.8) attached to it.
- Compartment for at least 3 more lenses.
- Additional space for accessories.
What Makes it Unique:
- Customizable Velcro dividers.
- Frontal flap with tripod clasps.
- Ergonomic design with elevated pads for increased airflow.
In conclusion, finding the right camera backpack is crucial for photographers who need to transport their gear safely and comfortably. Whether you’re a professional or a hobbyist, investing in a quality backpack can make all the difference in ensuring that your equipment is protected and easily accessible. We hope that our updated list of the best camera backpacks for photographers has been helpful in guiding you towards the perfect backpack for your needs. Remember to consider factors such as size, durability, and functionality when making your decision, and happy shooting!
We hope this list helps you on your hunt for your next camera backpack. You may also be interested in our list of the best camera bags,