The CES show officially kicked off today, so every company & their dog is announcing new gear. One of them is Sony, which today announced a new mirrorless camera as well as a new 4k camcorder.
Sony Alpha a5000 Mirrorless Camera
Sony stuck to its word about dropping the NEX moniker from their mirrorless line of cameras, and this new Alpha a5000 is the first (besides the full frame A7/A7R) to have the new naming. Sony calls this new mirrorless a5000 “The word’s lightest interchangeable lens camera with Wi-Fi connectivity”.
Sony Alpha a5000 Specs:
- 20.1 Mp Exmor APS HD APS-C CMOS Sensor
- BIONZ X Image Processor
- 3.0″ 460.8k-Dot Tilting LCD Monitor
- Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 60 fps
- Built-In Wi-Fi Connectivity with NFC
- Hand-held Twilight Mode and ISO 16000
- 25-Point Contrast Detection Autofocus
- Continuous Shooting up to 3.5 fps
- Photo Creativity and Picture Effects
- Sony 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Zoom Lens
You can already pre-order the new a5000 from B&H for only $598. It is expected to be available around March 18th of this year.
Sony AX100 4K Camcorder
Sony also announced their new AX100 4K Camcorder, a surprisingly cheap video recorder that looks like a hit for anyone wanting 4K footage on the cheap (when compared to other 4K offerings). In addition to being incredibly cheap for a 4k camcorder ($2000), the AX100 boasts wifi connectivity and the ability to shoot at up to 120fps for slow motion shooting. This could very well become “the” camera for anyone who shoots events or even parents looking for amazing footage of their kids sports.
Sony AX100 Specs:
- 4K Ultra HD Video at 30 fps
- 1″ Exmor R CMOS Sensor
- 15MP Still Images
- XAVC S, AVCHD, and MP4 Recording Options
- Zeiss Vario Sonnar T* Lens
- 12x Optical Zoom & 24x Clear Image Zoom
- BIONZ X Processor / High Speed 120 fps
- Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization
- 0.39″ OLED EVF / 3.5″ XtraFine LCD
- Wi-Fi / NFC Connectivity