New Cheaper Alternative to the Nikon SU-800 in the Debao SU-800
Say what you will about buying cheap knockoffs, but you cannot deny the cost savings that they allow over name brand products. The latest case of this is this new Chinese wireless flash commander by Debao. Their commander unit, the Debao SU-800, is about as close as you can have a knockoff be to an original brand name product without getting in trouble.
- Functions as a wireless commander for the SB-R200, SB-910, SB-900, SB-800, SB-700 and SB-600 Speedlight units.
- Supports the Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS) and compatible CLS cameras.
- Controls an unlimited number of Speedlights for up to three groups.
- Offers 4 independent channels for competitive shooting environments.
- Provides wireless control up to 35m.
- Built-in AF assists illuminator for critical focus in low-light situations.
[Buy one now on Amazon]
- Cameras: D3000、D3100、D5000、D5100、D7000、D7100, D40, D50、D60、D70、D80、D90、D300、D600、D700、D800、D1X、D2X、D3、D3s、D3X、D4
- Flashes: SB-R200, SB-910, SB-900, SB-800, SB-700 and SB-600
- Yongnuo flash, Metz flash, Nissin Flash which supports CLS
I have always personally preferred radio triggers over Infrared commander units. But if you are heavily invested in a Nikon CLS system then this may be a great alternative for you instead of the more expensive Nikon branded commander. Even if you bought a few of these as backups units to your actual Nikon commander, these would be perfect for that as well.
At any rate, it’s just another cheap Chinese knockoff that offers all/most of the features of the brand name product. What are your thoughts on this product? What are your thoughts on the cheap Chinese knockoff market? Let us know in a comment below.