Share & Sell Photos With Pixieset | 10 Reasons It Could Be The Right Choice For Many
If you’ve ever looked for an all-in-one platform to share and sell your photography, Pixieset is, in my opinion, worth checking out. It’s not the only site of its kind out there by any means, but it’s the one I prefer. If ‘cutesy’ isn’t your thing, don’t let the name discourage you; it’s a powerful tool for professionals and hobbyists alike. Here are reasons I chose Pixieset for client image delivery and perhaps why I would recommend it to other photographers:
- Free. There are options for a paid membership, but for casual users it’s fully functional without purchasing a subscription. Free accounts come with 3 gigabytes of storage and have some limitations that aren’t particularly limiting. There is one instance I’d recommend upgrading to a subscription sooner rather than later though; if you’re doing a lot of sales via Pixieset it would probably be worthwhile to upgrade to a subscription plan, as free accounts are subject to a 15% commission on sales while paid have no commission. The cheapest plan is only $8 per month, so if you’d be losing more than that in commissions it’s a no-brainer. Check out more subscription options here.
- Easy on the eyes. Pixieset galleries look polished and professional, are responsive, and are mobile-optimized. There are multiple templates to choose from for a customizable user experience. Check out some example galleries here.
- User friendly. It’s pretty painless to get up and running with it and there’s a support page to help out before contacting customer service if needed, and the whole experience is intuitive.
- Share galleries. Probably the most popular use for sites like Pixieset is sharing galleries with clients. Pixieset is particularly good for showing proofs because clients can make ‘favorites’ lists to show you which photos to retouch and so on. Then can also create notes for you on the photos which is handy for specific instructions.
- Sell photos. Clients can order directly via Pixieset’s shopping cart. You can either self-fulfill or choose one of the three labs the company works with. If you choose lab fulfillment, you can set a blanket percentage markup or mark products up individually. The client places their order, pays their own shipping, and products are shipped directly to them from the lab. As mentioned earlier, if you are using a free account Pixieset will collect a 15% surcharge from your sales.
- Can double as a website. If you don’t have your own domain, you can create Pixieset galleries for different areas of your portfolio which can be viewed from “yourname.pixieset.com.” Setup is simple and straightforward, and you will gain a place to direct potential clients to view your work. If you only want to share your work for kicks, this is still a great option that is simpler to set up than a website from say, Squarespace or WordPress, and more polished and personal than most hobbyist-centric photo sharing platforms. Photo communities are wonderful, but it’s nice to have your very own little slice of the web too.
- Supports branding. Free accounts can display your own logo, and paid accounts have even more options for custom branding.
- Lightroom plugin. Pixieset offers a Lightroom plugin that “allows you to upload directly from Lightroom to Pixieset, re-publish new edits easily and sync collections structure for easy organizing.”
- Super customizable. From custom domains for subscribers to Google analytics, watermarks to user-created collections in the shop, there are myriad ways to make Pixieset behave in a way that best fits you and your photography business or hobby.
- Always improving. In the year and a half or so I’ve been using Pixieset, I’ve seen numerous innovations roll out that really do improve the ease of use for both you, the photographer, and the client.
For more info, check out Pixieset’s massive list of features here.
$100 Off Premium
1,500+ Lessons, 30+ Workshops
33% Off Visual Flow
Designed by SLR Lounge & DVLOP
2020 Holiday Gift Guide
Ideas for All Budgets
Black Friday Deal Tracker