Nikon Z 40mm f/2 Announced | Full-Frame Mirrorless Lens on a Crop-Sensor Budget
Nikon has just announced their next full-frame mirrorless lens, the Nikkor Z 40mm f/2, and its price tag will definitely grab your attention: $299.
It may cost a bit more than the budget-friendly normal primes of yesteryear, the “nifty fifty” types of lenses that were priced in the $100-200 range, however, as a cutting-edge full-frame mirrorless lens, the price tag of $299 is exciting because so many other “normal” mirrorless primes cost quite a bit more. (For example, Sony’s 40mm f/2.5 and 50mm f/2.5 both cost nearly $600!)
I am excited to see this lens from Nikon at this price range for two reasons. First, Nikon is one of the best brands around when it comes to creating more affordable lenses that still deliver incredible, professional-level image quality. Secondly, Nikon’s Z mount is still one of the only mirrorless camera mounts that offers both full-frame (Nikon FX) and APS-C crop (Nikon DX) bodies, and affordable lenses like this are a perfect way to bridge that gap.
Nikkor Z: FX and DX On The Same Mount
In other words, Nikon is right in believing that aspiring photographers who start with the DX Nikon Z50 might want to get this lens and enjoy it at its equivalent focal length of 60mm, but be able to continue enjoying the lens if they eventually upgrade to the FX Nikon Z5. too.
Simply put, the Nikon Z 40mm f/2 joins lenses like the much older (and not very impressive, but decent) Sony FE 50mm f/1.8 ($248) and the Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 STM, which is a similarly minimal, “nifty” option that costs just $199. Oh, and there’s also the Rokinon/Samyang 45mm f/1.8, ($329-399) …which is another decent performer, but likely not as solidly made as this Nikkor.
How will this Nikkor Z 40mm perform? I have not personally tested it yet, however, considering the price tag of just under $300, I am inclined to predict that it will be an incredible value. Either way. I will be getting my hands on it as soon as possible for review, (as well as the FX Nikkor Z 28mm f/2, hopefully!) …and I will share that full review with you, so stay tuned!
Nikon Z 40mm f/2 | Specifications
- FOCAL LENGHT & ANGLE OF VIEW: 40mm, (38°50′)
- LENS MOUNT(S): Nikon Z FX, (full-frame) DX (APS-C)
- APERTURE & RANGE: f/2-16 (9-blade rounded electromagnetic diaphragm)
- STABILIZATION: No
- AUTOFOCUS: VXD linear motor, virtually silent
- MANUAL FOCUS: Electronically controlled, no focus distance scale
- OPTICAL CONSTRUCTION: 6 elements in 4 groups, 2 aspherical
- MECHANICAL CONSTRUCTION: Plastic, weather-sealed
- MAGNIFICATION & FOCUS DISTANCE: 0.17x magnification, 0.96 ft (0.29m)
- FILTER THREADS & HOOD: 52mm filter threads, one-piece plastic hood
- SIZE: 2.8 x 1.8 in (70 x 45.5 mm)
- WEIGHT: 6oz (170g)
- PRICE: $299.95 (B&H | Adorama | Amazon)
Nikkor Z 40mm f/2 Press Release
FUN, FAST & AFFORDABLE: THE NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 ULTRA COMPACT PRIME LENS
The Expansion of the NIKKOR Z Lens Line Continues
MELVILLE, NY (September 14, 2021) – Today Nikon announced the new NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2, a compact yet capable FX-format prime lens that provides fantastic image quality, fast aperture, a practical field of view and extraordinary bokeh for everyday image and video capture.
Affordable, portable and bright, this new optic checks all the right boxes for a lightweight lens to carry just about anywhere for nearly any occasion. Whether seeking a lens for everyday snaps, unobtrusive street photography or as a travel companion that easily fits in your carry-on, the new 40mm lets you capture with incredible sharpness, fast focus and gorgeous blurred backgrounds. Additionally, the fast aperture affords excellent low light performance and exceptional image quality – from portraits to food, or still life to 4K video, users can expect vivid colors and lifelike three-dimensional depth.
“Many creators have told us that they want extremely small lenses with fast apertures to complement their lightweight mirrorless Z series cameras,” said Jay Vannatter, Executive Vice President, Nikon Inc. “The new 40mm f/2 delivers as a great lens for travel, street photography or everyday use.”
The 40mm f/2 is a versatile lens that can be used with any Nikon Z series full-frame or DX-format camera. The lens is small enough to pair perfectly with a Z 50, Z fc or Z 5, yet suitable for Z 6II and Z 7II users looking for a light and compact “walk-around” lens.
NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2: All-Purpose Prime with Beautiful Bokeh
- A compact, versatile prime lens that is ideal for everyday applications such as close-ups, casual portraits, and food photography.
- Delivers fantastic bokeh and a dramatic separation of the subject from the background.
- The standard focal range hits the sweet spot of a natural angle of view, while still being wide enough for street photography. When mounted on a DX-format camera, the lens is equivalent to 60mm, which is a great focal length for flattering portraits.
- Ultra-compact, weighing in at merely 170g and only 1.8” long, making it easy to carry around for day-long outings.
- Built with 6 elements in 4 groups with a 9-blade diaphragm that creates a gorgeous, circular bokeh that draws attention to the subject.
- Utilizes an electromagnetic diaphragm for precise aperture control and stable exposure during continuous shooting.
- The NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 offers a short 0.96ft (0.29m) minimum focusing distance, which is excellent for capturing food and top-down photos of décor and tablescapes.
- Designed with consideration for dust and drip-resistant performance with a sealing that prevents dust and water droplets from entering the lens.
- Video shooters will benefit from the quiet operation, natural focus shift that allows for fluid changes when going from close focusing to infinity, reduced focus breathing, and smooth aperture control.
- The lens features an integrated control ring, which can be customized and assigned to adjust focus, ISO, aperture, and exposure compensation.
Pricing and Availability
The new NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 compact prime lens will be available starting later this fall (US) for a suggested retail price (SRP) of $299.95*. For more information about the latest Nikon products, including this new NIKKOR Z lens and the entire Nikon Z series, please visit nikonusa.com.
Nikon Inc. is a world leader in digital imaging, precision optics, and technologies for photo and video capture; globally recognized for setting new standards in product design and performance for an award-winning array of equipment that enables visual storytelling and content creation. Nikon Inc. distributes consumer and professional Z Series mirrorless cameras, digital SLR cameras, a vast array of NIKKOR and NIKKOR Z lenses, Speedlights and system accessories, Nikon COOLPIX® compact digital cameras, and Nikon software products. For more information, dial (800) NIKON-US or visit www.nikonusa.com, which links all levels of photographers and visual storytellers to the Web’s most comprehensive learning and sharing communities. Connect with Nikon on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Vimeo and Flickr.