Is a tilt-shift lens a “must-have” in a photographer’s gear bag? While most outside of architectural photography would say “no,” these 30 portraits from six incredible photographers might make you reconsider.
The following collection of images could really have only been created using a tilt-shift lens. These lenses manipulate the focal plane in an unusual way to draw focus to the subject. Several apps offer filters that attempt to recreate the look of tilt-shift lenses, but it’s not quite the same. With an app filter, you can’t actually tilt or shift the focal plane to the same extent as capturing an image with an actual tilt-shift lens.
You can find the prices and specs for various tilt-shift makes and models below:
24mm Tilt-Shift Lens
- Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II (B&H | Amazon | Adorama)
- Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED (B&H | Amazon | Adorama)
- Rokinon T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC for Sony (B&H | Amazon | Adorama)
45mm Tilt-Shift Lens
- Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8 (B&H | Amazon | Adorama)
- Nikon PC-E Micro-Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED (B&H | Amazon | Adorama)
- Lensbaby Sol 45, 45mm f/3.5 for Sony (B&H | Amazon | Adorama)
85mm Or 90mm Tilt-Shift Lens
- Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8L Macro (B&H | Amazon | Adorama)
- Nikon PC-E Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D (B&H | Amazon | Adorama)
Tilt-shift lenses are notoriously tricky to use, in part because they’re fully manual lenses. When perfected, however, they’re capable of producing unparalleled results. Like the lens, each photographer brings a unique perspective when it comes to using tilt-shift lenses to capture artistic portraits. We found a collection of artists whose use of the tilt-shift lens puts a creative twist on portrait photography.
See their work below:
Jay Cassario: Instagram | Website
Eric Talerico: Instagram | Website
Hansandroxes: Instagram | Website
Pye Jirsa: Instagram | Website
Trevor Dayley: Instagram | Website
Jason Mark Harris: Instagram | Website
All of the images in this article were used with direct permission from the artists. Do NOT use or distribute the images without direct consent from the photographers.
If you enjoyed this article, you might also like a similar article we wrote: The 200mm F/2.0 Lens | 15 Photos That Will Make You Need One.