Submit Articles and Tutorials
Types of Contributors
We are looking for the following types of contributors:
- Staff Writer | General – These are photographers/writers with a consistent voice on SLR Lounge. These weekly writers develop a following and fan-base on SLR Lounge. We’re looking for people to find awesome BTS videos, present breaking industry news, review products, write tutorials and more.
- Contributor – If you are unable to write weekly, then you may still contribute to SLR Lounge. This is a great way to share your thoughts, grow your reputation as a leader in the industry, and build valuable traffic and links to your site. However, as our site thrives with consistency, these contributions are unpaid.
- Guest Writers– You may also consider submitting educational content that indirectly promotions your service or website. See the details below and note that we are incredibly picky about which article we publish in this category.
Types of Articles
We are looking for the following types of articles:
Short Articles (aka Rehashes)
- Length: 2-3 Short Paragraphs, 200-400 words
- Average Time Spent: 15-30 minutes
- Description: These types of articles include product releases or updates, inspirational videos or behind-the-scenes clips, and more. Articles fit into the short article category when they are based on another source. In these articles it’s important to not only restate the information but to also add in your opinion as to why it’s relevant.
- Examples: Von Wong BTS Video, Fine Art Portraits Influenced by Classical Paintings, Pocket Wizard announces PlusX
- Additional Notes: It’s important to realize that you’re not just restating information but you’re adding value to the conversation. You should be answering the following questions: Why is this relevant? What are your Thoughts? How does this affect our community? These are all important things to consider when writing these articles. It’s not just a “hey look at this cool ____” and it’s definitely not copying the information from other sources.
Longer Articles (aka Originals)
- Length: 5-10 Paragraphs, 500-1000 words
- Average Time Spent: 1 hour
- Examples: Is The Nikon D7100 Going To Replace The D300s and The Pro DX Series?, Path to Pro Series
- Additional Notes: Please note that we have a high standard when it comes to the images on our site. Here are a couple of standards to go by: 1) Lauri’s Composite, Joe’s Fashion Shoot, Matt’s Slow Shutter Speed. Though your photography may be above average, we’re looking for something more than that.
Editorials, BTS Videos, and Others
If you’re interested in creating original videos, comprehensive tutorials, and original photography projects, these fall under its own category. Examples, are many of Lauri’s videos or 2) Joe’s Shooting Guides, 3) Raw vs. JPEG Visual Guide. These are only reserved for frequent, long-standing contributors.
As mentioned in our “Submit Articles and Tutorials Page,” we prefer to have long term writers rather than one-time submissions.
However, if you would like to submit great content to our site, we are certainly willing to review it and consider it for our site.
Here are some guidelines and requirements:
- Keep it between 500 and 800 words – Keep in mind that people have short attention spans and will likely move on after the first couple paragraphs.
- Use at least 1 compelling image – Use up to 10 pictures sized to 650px wide.
- Use many headers – The rule of thumb is that the more headers and bullet points you use, the easier it is to read and the more organized your thoughts are. Do not ramble and be sure to have an intro and conclusion.
- Link at the bottom of the article – We can only allow one link per article and it must be at the bottom of your content.
- Read the website! – The most common question is, “what should I write?” It’s very easy to identify someone who hasn’t followed our site because their topics and ideas do not align with our current content.
- Add incredible Value! – It’s also very easy to identify an article that is crafted around marketing your site or simply created for SEO. We need actual valuable content that happens to link over to your site.
To get started, please write your first article and send it over to [email protected] If we do not publish your article on the main SLR Lounge site, you have full freedom to shop your article around to other websites.
After your first article, we should have a good idea of whether or not you’re a good fit for SLR Lounge. If so, we’ll create a contributors account so that you may write your posts directly in the site.
What Should I Write for My First Article? – Part of being an SLR Lounge writer is going out and finding interesting content. Find an interesting subject from your favorite source of inspiration, contact your favorite photographer to see if you may feature his or her work, and stay up-to-date on all of the industry announcements. After you’re accepted as a writer, you’ll be granted access to our writers group, where we share ideas for articles. However, until then, we’d like to see what you can find on your own.