EOS-1D X Mark II| Canon’s Next Flagship Officially Announced
Unless you have been living under a rock, we have all been expecting this announcement. Tonight it was made official, with Canon announcing their new flagship body, the EOS-1 D X Mark II; their response to the Nikon D5.
Action King, New 20.2MP Sensor & 14 FPS Burst Mode
The flagship EOS-1D line has usually been reserved for high-end action, wildlife and sports shooters, and the new EOS-1D X Mark II continues that trend with a brand new 61-point AF system, Dual DIGIC 6+ processors, and up to 16FPS burst mode (in Live View, limited to 14FPS in standard mode).
The other notable improvement is the inclusion of dual pixel AF technology which should drastically improve the video AF capability of this flagship DSLR, a point that is notable due to the inclusion of 4K recording.
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Specs
- 20.2MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
- Dual DIGIC 6+ Image Processors
- 3.2″ 1.62m-Dot Touchscreen LCD Monitor
- DCI 4K Video at 60 fps, 8.8MP Still Grab
- 61-Point High-Density Reticular AF II
- Native ISO 51200, Expanded to ISO 409600
- 14 fps Shooting, 16 fps in Live View
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF and Movie Servo AF
- Built-In GPS, Optional Wi-Fi Transmitter
- Mag. Alloy Body, CFast & CF Card Slots
Overall, it is a solid upgrade over the current EOS-1D X, though, in my opinion, doesn’t quite have the *pop* that the D5 did with their announcement a few weeks back. That said, I know many shooters who will be drooling over this body. I will be curious to see if the sensor is improved at all over previous Canon sensors or if we will have more of the same.
Regardless, if you want to be one of the first to get your hands on one of these killer flagship bodies, you can head on over to B&H and get your pre-order in now!