Zeiss Officially Unveils 85mm F/1.4 Otus, US Price $4490
The lens itself sticks to the same design and quality standards established by the original 55mm Otus lens. The sleek black design is accented by small yellow colored text, and the performance leaves nothing (except autofocus and maybe stabilization) to be desired.
Zeiss Otus 85mm F/1.4 Specs
- Canon EF & Nikon F Mounts
- Aperture Range: f/1.4 to f/16
- One Aspherical Element
- 6 Anomalous Partial Dispersion Elements
- Apochromatic, Planar Optical Design
- Floating Element System
- Zeiss T* Anti-Reflective Coating
- Internal Focus; Manual Focus Design
- All-Metal Barrel, Yellow Scale Markings
- Rounded Nine-Blade Diaphragm
These lenses really are a thing of perfected beauty. Sadly, one that most of us will never get to enjoy due to the absolutely ludicrous asking price of $4,490. I understand there is a lot of prestige to the Zeiss brand, and that these lenses are expertly crafted, but $4,490, really? I can’t help but wonder how many more copies they could sell if they cut that price in half.
Still, I know some of you out there are jonesing for this lens, regardless of price. If you actually have the money to plunk down on this beautiful hunk of metal and glass, you can find the pre-order links over on B&H.