Photography SEO and Web Marketing Workshop: Using Pinterest to Grow Your Business
Using Pinterest to Grow your business
Pinterest has over 70 million users, of which 80% are women. It’s a hub for “doit-yourselfers,” brides, designers and others looking for visual inspiration. As a photographer, you have a massive opportunity to increase your reach and put yourself in front of potential fans and clients through Pinterest.
How does Pinterest drive traffic to your site? One of the biggest benefits of Pinterest is that each image is linked directly to the webpage from which it is “pinned.” Generally, the more your images are pinned, the more referral traffic you will receive.
Create Boards of Your Own Work
Increase your following by creating boards with your own images. This increases your exposure because the boards are searchable within Pinterest AND within search engines. A light bulb should be going off in your head at this point. If these boards are indexed and searchable then you should use keywords in multiple places. Be sure to include keywords in the following places:
- The title of the board
- Descriptions within the boards
- Image names
Conduct the same exercise that we did for creating pages for your site (in Book 1). Think about your target venues and your target keywords. Create a board for every one of those targets. You will need to prioritize your boards, however, as you are limited to 500.
If you would like more examples, feel free to view the boards created in our studio here: http://www.pinterest.com/linandjirsa.
Encourage Pinning From Clients
Your clients will also find Pinterest useful; and if you guide them in the process, it can be one of your best sources of traffic. As a photographer, we create exactly what Pinterest users are looking for which is beautiful eye candy. We create awesome imagery of things that people are already passionate about like wedding details, jewelry, flowers, pets, real estate, décor, etc. It’s up to us to make it convenient for people to “pin” our images; and find ways to encourage them to “pin” our images. Here’s how:
Step 1 – Install the Plugin on Your Site
The first thing we need is a plugin that inserts the Pinterest script on all of your pages and brings up a “pin” button when a user hovers over an image. If you’re using the SLR Lounge WordPress Theme, this is already included.
WordPress – If you’re a WordPress user, all you need to do is install a Pinterest plugin. There are plenty to choose from.
Squarespace – Squarespace users should follow the instructions in this thread to install the script: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206543577-Using-Pinterest-with-Squarespace.
Step 2 – Encourage Pinning
In our Natural Light Couples Photography Workshop (https://www.slrlounge.com/store-product/natural-light-couples-photography-workshop-dvd/), we teach you the importance of having your clients create a moodboard. A moodboard is simply a Pinterest board that includes all of their favorite images. Reviewing this board with them is critical to understanding their preferences and catering your style to match their personalities.
Instruct your clients to gather most of their pins for their moodboard from your blog or website. After all, if most of their pins are from elsewhere, maybe you and your client weren’t a good match to begin with. This process puts your images onto your clients’ Pinterest boards. This activity then appears in the feeds of those who are following that person, expanding your reach.
Also, remember that these images link directly to your site. Therefore, by simply having your clients communicate with you through Pinterest, you’re actually growing your following and driving clicks over to your website.
Use Pinterest to Organize Your Ideas
Grow your Pinterest following by simply participating and using it as a tool. As a photographer, Pinterest is a great way to brainstorm and bring together ideas. Simply search what you’re looking for directly on Pinterest and “pin” the images of your choice to boards that you create. You can then access these boards later from your computer, phone or tablet. These idea boards can be your way of organizing your shoots. Aggregate posing, lighting, wardrobe & styling ideas, and more. It’s also a great way to research new locations or new cities.
Besides being useful for your shoots, this participation will grow your following. Remember the concept of “give a little love to get a little love.” These pins of other photographers’ images will not go unnoticed and you will see your followers and repins increase with your increase in activity.
- Create your business Pinterest account. Business accounts give you advanced analytics, so we recommend using business accounts over personal accounts. If you already have a personal account, you can convert it to a business account with this URL: https://business.pinterest.com/en
- Before your next shoot, create a new board.
- Add related images to your board via the Pinterest search.
- Install the Pinterest toolbar for your browser – Search “[INSERT BROWSER NAME] Pinterest Toolbar” and install.Add related images from around the web to your board using this toolbar. To do so, simply click the Pinterest icon while visiting any page and you will be able to choose which images to pin.
- Install the Pinterest App on your smartphone for quick access to your boards during your shoots.
CHAPTER 1.01 – INTRODUCTION
- 1.1 Photography SEO and Web Marketing Intro
- 1.2 Why You Need SEO
- 1.3 Why You Should NOT Hire Out For SEO
- 1.4 Overview of Chapters
CHAPTER 2: 1.02 – SEO BASICS & KEYWORD STRATEGY
- 2.1 How Do Search Engines Work
- 2.2 Understanding Search Results
- 2.3 Search Results Quiz
- 2.4 What is a Keyword
- 2.5 How To Determine Keywords For Your Photography Studio
- 2.6 Using the Keyword Planner
CHAPTER 3 1.03 – CREATING CONTENT
- 3.1 How to Create Great Content
- 3.2 Web Page Ideas
- 3.3 How to Create Great SEO Content
- 3.4 Grow Your Business with Google Image Search
- 3.5 Balancing SEO with Workflow
CHAPTER 4: 1.04 – SITE STRUCTURE
Chapter 5: 1.05 – ACCESSIBILITY, SPEED, AND DUPLICATE CONTENT
- 5.1 Importance of Correct Internal Linking
- 5.2 Broken Links
- 5.3 Under the Hood Accessibility
- 5.4. How to Speed Up Your Site
- 5.5. Avoiding Duplicate Content
- 5.6 Conclusion
Chapter 6: 2.01 – LINK BASICS
Chapter 7: 2.02 – LINK VALUE FACTORS
Chapter 8: 2.03 – NOFOLLOW, RELATED LINKS, & ANCHOR TEXT
Chapter 9: 2.04 – LINK BUILDING STRATEGIES
Chapter 10: 3.01 – THE IMPORTANCE OF SOCIAL MEDIA
- 10.1 Why Social Media is Important?
- 10.2 How to Get Started with Social Media
- 10.3 How to Create Quality Content
- 10.4 How to Post Your Content – Rules and Guidelines
Chapter 11: 3.02 – MAXIMIZING SPECIFIC SOCIAL MEDIA NETWORKS
- 11.1 Use Wedding Slideshows To Showcase Your Work On Social Media
- 11.2 2 Apps To #MaximizeEngagement
- 11.3 Using Facebook to Grow Your Business
- 11.4 Using Twitter to Grow Your Business
- 11.5 Using Google Plus to Grow Your Business
- 11.6 Using Pinterest to Grow Your Business
- 11.7 Using Instagram to Grow Your Business
- 11.8 How to Post Videos and Photos to Instagram From Your PC
Chapter 12: 3.03 – MASTER LOCAL SEARCH
- 12.1 Local Listing Accounts & On-Page SEO and Local Links
- 12.2 Decide On Your Name, Address, and Phone
- 12.3 Set Up My Google Business Page
Chapter 13: 4.01 – Initial Decisions
- 13.1 Create a Photography Website
- 13.2 Photography Business Names | How to Choose
- 13.3 Photography Domain Names | How to Choose
- 13.4 Best Website Builder for Photographers (Updated for 2019)
- 13.5 One Website vs. Separating Your Blog
- 13.6 How to Create Multiple Websites to Improve Your SEO
Chapter 14: 4.02 – WORDPRESS AND Squarespace
- 14.1 WordPress for Photographers
- 14.2 Recommended WordPress Plugins for Photographers
- 14.3 Squarespace For Photographers | Pros And Cons
Chapter 15: 4.03 – GOOGLE ANALYTICS
- 15.1 Using Google Analytics to Measure Performance
- 15.2 Google Webmaster Basics for Photographers
- 14.3 Squarespace For Photographers | Pros And Cons
Chapter 16: PAID DIRECTORIES
ACCESS TO INDUSTRY-LEADING EDUCATION
Let SLR Lounge guide you in your photography journey with the best photography education and resources. Browse our complete, comprehensive solutions and take the next step in your photography.