Business Course One | The Photography Business Plan: Step Three: S.W.O.T. Analysis
Step Three: S.W.O.T. Analysis
In case you’ve never heard of a S.W.O.T. analysis, it is a tool used to determine the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats that can potentially impact a business (or business plan). You have more control over your strengths and weaknesses, whereas opportunities and threats rest outside of your control.
First, choose four of your local direct competitors and then perform a S.W.O.T. analysis, creating a list for each of the four quadrants (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats). As you analyze your competitors, document the results in the workbook (03_SWOT).
Using Malcolm Gladwell’s reframed version of David and Goliath (looking at the actual circumstances of the fight vs. the pop culture myth built around a tiny underdog), reframe your perception of your competitive environment. This can aid in reframing your understanding of what you think you know well and allow you to gain additional insight on the subject. Now, how will you compete against an apparently larger competitor, such as Lin & Jirsa Photography? The answer may surprise you. Don’t compete, and choose a different battlefield.
Watch the video to see actual case studies using the S.W.O.T. analysis on photographers’ websites.
- 1.1 Business Course One | The Photography Business Plan
- 1.2 Introduction
- 1.3 Common Myths + Truths Unknown
- 1.4 Know The Road Ahead
- 1.5 The Lin & Jirsa Journey
- 1.6 Part-Time, Full-Time, Employed, Partners
- 1.7 Respect Yourself. Stop Wasting Time + Money
- 1.8 Your Business Roadmap And Guide
- 1.9 Chapter One Quiz
- 2.1 Great Plans Still Fail
- 2.2 Strategy Vs. Planning
- 2.3 The Business Plan/Executive Summary
- 2.4 The Power Of Mind Mapping
- 2.5 Step One: Select A Focus
- 2.6 Step Two: Basic Market Research
- 2.7 Step Three: S.W.O.T. Analysis
- 2.8 Step Four: Target Market Personas
- 2.9 Step Five: Values, Vision, Mission
- 2.10 Step Six: Creating Short + Long-Term Goals
- 2.11 Effectively Managing Your Time
- 4.1 Selecting The Entity And Registering The Business
- 4.2 Liability And Insurance
- 4.3 Protect Yourself With Contracts
- 4.4 Why You Need Accounting
- 4.5 Good Data Equals Good Decisions
- 4.6 Using The Gear And IT Guide
- 4.7 Q&A
Total Course Run Time: 7H 50M 44S
ACCESS TO INDUSTRY-LEADING EDUCATION
Let SLR Lounge guide you in your photography journey with the best photography education and resources. Browse our complete, comprehensive solutions and take the next step in your photography.