Business Course One | The Photography Business Plan: Step Six: Creating Short + Long-Term Goals
Step Six: Creating Short + Long-Term Goals
Up to this point, if you’re just starting your business, you likely don’t yet know which markets you’re going after, which clients you’re marketing to, or even what you want to do for certain. Now’s the time to create short and long-term goals.
While creating goals, it is important to stick to your core values and not create goals based on what others have achieved. Another’s success may not be ideal for you if the pathway for attaining that level of success does not correlate well with your values.
Here’s a quick look back at what we’ve covered so far in this course:
- Step One: Focus. Selected.
- Step Two: Market. Researched.
- Step Three: Competition. Analyzed.
- Step Four: Target Market. Identified.
- Step Five: Values, Vision, Mission. Crafted.
Your ideal work/life balance should dictate your strategy and goals.
Here are a few of Lin & Jirsa’s goals from 2008:
- Be the best wedding studio in SoCal
- Deliver consistently amazing work
- Good income with free time for other projects
- Get out of the nitty-gritty
To help create your goals, draw out a mind map of your ideal work/life balance. You can find a worksheet in the workbook (07_Goals = Ongoing Plan/Goals). Remember, goals should be smart:
Creating too many goals can be hard to track, especially if they’re convoluted. Instead, here is how to plan for long-term goals:
- 2-3 years in length
- Designed to steer
- Max 3-5 goals: Each long-term goal should include 1-3 medium-term/annual goals, which represent milestones to long-term goals
At the end of the day, literally, expect to view/track your goals.
- 1.1 Business Course One | The Photography Business Plan
- 1.2 Introduction
- 1.3 Common Myths + Truths Unknown
- 1.4 Know The Road Ahead
- 1.5 The Lin & Jirsa Journey
- 1.6 Part-Time, Full-Time, Employed, Partners
- 1.7 Respect Yourself. Stop Wasting Time + Money
- 1.8 Your Business Roadmap And Guide
- 1.9 Chapter One Quiz
- 2.1 Great Plans Still Fail
- 2.2 Strategy Vs. Planning
- 2.3 The Business Plan/Executive Summary
- 2.4 The Power Of Mind Mapping
- 2.5 Step One: Select A Focus
- 2.6 Step Two: Basic Market Research
- 2.7 Step Three: S.W.O.T. Analysis
- 2.8 Step Four: Target Market Personas
- 2.9 Step Five: Values, Vision, Mission
- 2.10 Step Six: Creating Short + Long-Term Goals
- 2.11 Effectively Managing Your Time
- 4.1 Selecting The Entity And Registering The Business
- 4.2 Liability And Insurance
- 4.3 Protect Yourself With Contracts
- 4.4 Why You Need Accounting
- 4.5 Good Data Equals Good Decisions
- 4.6 Using The Gear And IT Guide
- 4.7 Q&A
Total Course Run Time: 7H 50M 44S
ACCESS TO INDUSTRY-LEADING EDUCATION
Let SLR Lounge guide you in your photography journey with the best photography education and resources. Browse our complete, comprehensive solutions and take the next step in your photography.