Wedding Workshop Five | Photographing the Ceremony: Cultural Case Studies: Iranian/Persian Weddings
Cultural Case Studies: Iranian/Persian Weddings
Here is a basic list of the components that make up an Iranian/Persian wedding:
- Sofreh Aghd – Ceremony
- Bale/Kelling – Consent
- Asal – Honey & Kiss
- Tala – Gifts of Gold
- Kalleh Ghand – Sugar Cones Overhead
- Family Blessings
Before the Day
- Ask bride and groom during talk-through for any non-typical events/moments.
On the Day
- Capture all the details of the Sofreh setup (wide + tight).
- Avoid catching yourself in the mirror reflection.
- Designate where shooters will be for various parts of ceremony (since they are facing in different directions).
- Family/wedding party portraits at Sofreh setup.
- Couples session on property & with Sofreh.
We can’t stress this enough: Capture every detail of the sofreh, from the smallest to the largest details, at both wide and tight angles. Each item usually symbolizes some aspect of the bride and groom’s relationship and marriage, and some items, such as powdered sugar, will be incorporated into the ceremony.
You may find yourself facing the audience to capture the bride and groom as they often sit together on a bench, facing away from the audience. Either way, find positions to catch the necessary angles and tell a complete and cohesive story.
Modern Preset Pack
Give Your Images a Natural, Clean Style
Mood Preset Pack
Warm, Organic, Boho, Wanderlust Style
Crush Preset Pack
Give Images a Punch with Deep Blues
Pastel Preset Pack
Refined Film Emulation
Retouch, Dodge and Burn and Much More