Profoto announced the Profoto Connect, a new flash trigger that is 100% button-free and the first of its kind. The small pod only has three settings; auto, manual and off.
Auto mode uses TTL, with the correct flash exposure calculated automatically when you press the shutter.
In manual mode, control the flash output via bluetooth and the Profoto app. Swipe your finger across the screen of your smartphone to adjust the power output on your flash unit.
The purpose and Intended Audience
Profoto’s goal is to make flash easier:
“What we needed to do was make it more accessible to more image creators – Profoto Connect does that – from today forward, working with flash couldn’t be easier.”
– Martina Nillenstedt, Profoto Head of Content and Brand.
“When we sat down and talked with photographers, we recognized that all the buttons and menus you find on a typical remote trigger can seem a little complex – so we decided to get rid of them completely,“
– Albert Norelius, Profoto Product Manager
Profoto Connect features
• Button-free trigger for all Profoto AirTTL lights
• Attach to your camera’s hot shoe to wirelessly connect camera and light
• Three settings: Auto, manual and off
• Auto mode: Point and shoot with automatic flash power
• Manual mode: Fine-tune the flash settings
• Smart connectivity with the Profoto app (compatible with iPhone 7 and later)
• Small, lightweight and minimalistic design
• Built-in rechargeable LiPo battery – 30h battery life
- Smartphone control:Yes, via Bluetooth through Profoto app
- Profoto AirTTL: Yes
- Operation modes: Auto/Manual Frequency Band: 2.4 GHz
- No. of frequency channels: 8
- Range: Up to 300m (1000 ft) (free line of sight
- Profoto Connect (for all brands) includes
- 1 x Profoto Connect in open space)
- Typical battery lifetime: > 30 hours
- 1 x Charging cable (USB-C to USB-A)
- 1 x Protective case
- Recommended light: Profoto A1
- Diameter: 45 mm (1.77 in)
- Height: 29 mm (1.14 in)
- Weight 43 g (0.09 lbs)