Tamron Announces The Launch Of Its Fast & Compact 35-150mm Portrait Zoom Lens for DSLRs
Just a few months ago, Tamron announced 3 new full frame-lenses lenses with just enough information on each to get us wanting more. Well today, Tamron is pleased to announce price and delivery information for one of those lenses; the new 35-150mm F/2.8-4 Di VC OSD, (model A043), portrait zoom lens!
The new 35-150mm is being touted as a fast and compact portrait zoom lens for DSLRs that features an f/2.8 aperture on the wide end and an f/4 aperture on the telephoto end. This will add a wider range to the creative expression for photographers using a single lens while maintaining a bright f/4 at its maximum telephoto end.
Features include a minimum focusing distance of 17.7″ (45cm), and a Dual MPU, (Micro-Processing Unit), system for fast autofocus and vibration compensation.
Check Pricing and Availability at our preferred retailers here;
The zoom range incorporates the 85mm focal length (often regarded as optimum for portrait shooting) and covers everything from full-body shots that include the surrounding environment to head-and-shoulders shots that stand out from a natural defocused “bokeh” background for which Tamron is renowned. The compact Model A043 is designed for fast handling and easy transport, measuring only 4.9″ in long and perfectly balanced.
On the technical side, three optimally placed LD (Low Dispersion) glass elements and three hybrid aspherical lenses quash various optical aberrations. Autofocus is exceptionally quiet with improved precision and speed thanks to the OSD (Optimized Silent Drive) DC motor. Furthermore, the Model A043 incorporates the Dual MPU (Micro-Processing Unit) system, which strikes the perfect balance between AF performance and effective vibration compensation. For close-focusing, the MOD (Minimum Object Distance) is 17.7″ in across the entire zoom range. Providing greater flexibility when used outdoors, a Fluorine Coating and Moisture-Resistant Construction deliver extra measures of protection. The new 35-150mm portrait zoom is the most useful and most creative lens a portrait photographer can own.
Here are some sample images taken with the new lens;
- Superb optical performance meets requirements of high-resolution 50+ megapixel DSLRs
- Outstanding performance even in strongly backlit situations
- High-speed Dual MPU (Micro-Processing Unit) control system delivers fast and highly responsive autofocus performance plus outstanding vibration compensation
- Silent autofocus driven by OSD (Optimized Silent Drive) DC motor
- Outstanding VC (Vibration Compensation)
- MOD (Minimum Object Distance) of 17.7 inches across the entire zoom range
- Next-generation design is consistent with brand identity and is ergonomically superb
- Moisture-Resistant Construction
- Fluorine Coating
- The surface of the front element is coated with a protective fluorine compound that has excellent water – and oil – repellent qualities. The front surface is easier to wipe clean and is less vulnerable to the damaging effects of dirt, dust, moisture or oily fingerprints, allowing for much easier maintenance.
- Compatible with TAMRON TAP-in ConsoleTM, an optional accessory
- Covers a broad range of diverse scenarios when combined as a set with the 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di OSD (Model A037) ultra-wide angle zoom
For the discerning travel photographer who wants to pack light while maintaining excellent image quality, the new 35-150mm zoom pairs perfectly with Tamron’s 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di OSD (Model A037) wide-angle zoom. The two lenses together cover 17mm to 150mm affording creative and versatile capture of landscape, street scenes, architectural details, food, street portraits and more, at a total weight of just 44.1 oz* with fast F/2.8 at the wide ends and F/4 at the tele end of each.
- Model : A043
- Focal Length : 35‐150mm
- Maximum Aperture : F/2.8-4
- Angle of View (diagonal) : 63°26′ – 16°25′ (for full-frame DSLR cameras)
- Optical Construction : 19 elements in 14 groups
- Minimum Object Distance : 17.7“ Full zoom range
- Maximum Magnification Ratio : 1:3.7 (f=150mm)
- Filter Size : Ø77mm
- Maximum Diameter : Ø84mm
- : for Canon 5“
- : for Nikon 4.9“
- : for Canon 28.1 oz
- : for Nikon 27.9 oz
- Aperture Blades : 9 (circular diaphragm)**
- Minimum Aperture : F/16-22
- Image Stabilization Performance : 5 stops (CIPA Standards Compliant)
- For Canon: EOS-5D MKIII is used / For Nikon: D810 is used
- Standard Accessories : Flower-shaped hood, Lens caps
- Compatible Mounts : Canon EF mount, Nikon F mount
- Specifications, appearance, functionality, etc. are subject to change without prior notice.
* Length is the distance from the front tip of the lens to the lens mount face.
** The circular diaphragm stays almost perfectly circular up to two stops down from maximum aperture.
What are your thoughts? Will you be picking this lens up as part of your kit? As I commented on the initial release announcement post, I’m actually pretty interested in this lens. I shoot a LOT of event work for clients and this could be huge for me. Potentially saving me from having to carry multiple cameras and lenses on site as usual. Of course we’ll be reaching out to test the lens thoroughly once it’s available, so be sure to stay tuned for that also. In the meantime, you can find out more about the new Tamron 35-150mm lens and the rest of their product line(s) by visiting http://tamron-usa.com/
Modern Preset Pack
Give Your Images a Natural, Clean Style
Mood Preset Pack
Warm, Organic, Boho, Wanderlust Style
Crush Preset Pack
Give Images a Punch with Deep Blues
Pastel Preset Pack
Refined Film Emulation
Retouch, Dodge and Burn and Much More