Sony A7 II Officially Announced in US, Availability in December
Not sure why there was such a delay between Sony Japan and the rest of the world, but today, the Sony A7 II was officially announced in the US. Since we already have all the spec details, the biggest mystery here was availability and pricing, both of which have finally been announced.
For those of you who need a refresher, the A7 II has some pretty major upgrades over the original Sony A7. The biggest being the addition of 5-axis IBIS (In Body Image Stabilization) capable of up to 4.5 stops of stabilization. The AF is also 30% faster and should track subjects much better than the original. Full A7II specs and details below:
Sony A7 II Specs
- 24.3MP Full-Frame Exmor CMOS Sensor
- BIONZ X Image Processor
- 5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Stabilization
- Enhanced Fast Hybrid AF and 5 fps Burst
- Full HD XAVC S Video and S-Log2 Gamma
- 3.0″ 1,228.8k-Dot Tilting LCD Monitor
- XGA 2.36M-Dot OLED Electronic Viewfinder
- Weather-Resistant Magnesium Alloy Body
- Refined Grip & Robust Lens Mount
- Built-In Wi-Fi Connectivity with NFC
Now for the part that all of you have likely come here to find out, the pricing and availability. The price is right about what we had initially guessed, with the body only coming in at $1699, and the kit (with the 28-70mm lens) coming in at $1998. The A7 II is expected to begin shipping on December 5th, but that is subject to change.