We have talked about the rumors about a new updated RX100M3 several times over the last several weeks and the official announcement finally came last night from Sony. The new RX100M3, as the title of this post states, comes featuring a new popup EVF, as well as a faster F/1.8-2.8 lens.
Overall, looking at this, it is definitely a worthy upgrade from the RX100M2, in my opinion. Some interesting features that stuck out to me, specifically, is the addition of Sony’s new XAVC S codec and clean HDMI output, meaning that this – like the RX10 – could likely be used as a run and gun camera for video.
Sony RX100 III Official Specs
- 20.1MP 1″ Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor
- BIONZ X Image Processor
- Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* f/1.8-2.8 Lens
- 24-70mm (35mm Equivalent)
- 1440k-Dot OLED Tru-Finder Pop-Up EVF
- 3.0″ 1229k-Dot Multi-Angle Xtra Fine LCD
- Full HD Video in XAVC S, Clean HDMI Out
- Built-In Wi-Fi Connectivity with NFC
- ISO 12800 and 10 fps Continuous Shooting
- Manual Control Ring & Built-In ND Filter
The price for this “ultra” point-n-shoot is a little on the spendy side for a camera of that form factor, but the features set it apart from other cameras in that space. This is your quick grab-and-go camera for all but the most professional of uses. A camera for professional photographers who want top quality when not using their pro gear.
Officially priced at $798, it is still a very affordable option. This new RX100 III is expected to be available towards the end of June, but pre-orders are open now! If you are interested, head on over to B&H to get your pre-order in today!