At some point in every photographer’s career, we find ourselves in that interesting situation of not having a lighting assistant. Meaning, if we need to adjust our off camera speedlights, we need to stop what we’re doing and adjust the light and let’s be honest, that can be a pain when you’re trying to work efficiently.
Enter the Panlight. The Panlight is a new remote controlled panning and tilting head that can be attached to a light stand, allowing you to mount a speedlight or mirrorless camera to it and control it via a remote. Check out the video below to see the Panlight in action!
- Cold shoe mount making the Panlight nearly universal with all hot shoe speed lights
- 360 degree panning and 140 degree tilting
- 4 channels: allowing individual control of up to four different Panlight units
- Uses 4 AA Batteries
- Standard 3/8″ thread for mounting to light stands or tripods
- Support for up to 2.2 lbs of gear weight
- Remote control allows you to control units up to 100 feet away
Costing only $149 USD, I could see the Panlight having a place in my wedding photography lighting kit. Having the ability to control the angles of my off camera speedlights from where I’m standing in a reception hall, ceremony or virtually anywhere is great. It would be awesome for when I want to bounce light for a group photo, then tilt it down to backlight and create a rim light during the first dance. I also think it’s great you can mount a small mirrorless camera to it at a unique angle, maybe on the balcony of the church for a high and wide shot of a wedding ceremony. Wedding photographer or not, I could see any photographer who works with off camera flash finding a use for the Panlight.
Images captured via screen grab