Olympus Releases Impressive Firmware Update For E-M1 Mark II, E-M5 Mark II, Pen-F & Lenses
Olympus has just added a host of new features to their most sought-after cameras, the OM-D E-M1 Mark II, OM-D E-M5 Mark II, and Pen-F.
Those savvy in the camera world know Olympus has been consistently putting out some of the highest-level mirrorless cameras for some time, and the likes of the E-M1 have few rivals, and now the line is that much more capable with Profoto TTL support, and a host of other firmware-related features.
With over ten primary upgrades some of the more compelling would include improved EVF color reproduction for more accurate composition; AF Target spot metering, improvements to the AF touchpad so it can be better used even if your nose touches it (particularly applicable for left-eye shooters); better high-res and image-stacking compatibility; the ability to save camera settings on your computer, and more.
There are also updates to be had for two Olympus lenses:
(1) M.ZUIKO Digital ED 12-100mm f/4.0 IS PRO Firmware Version 1.1 and M.ZUIKO Digital ED 300mm f/4.0 IS PRO Firmware Version 1.2 improves silent sequential shooting performance when image stabilization is active on the E-M1 Mark II.
(2) M.ZUIKO Digital ED 12-100mm f/4.0 IS PRO Firmware Version 1.1 improves 5-Axis Sync IS performance when paired with the E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 Mark II.
Check out the Press Release notes below for a layout of the features, and check out Olympus’ download portal for the updated firmware:
- Compatibility with Profoto Air Remote TTL-O
The latest firmware upgrade delivers compatibility between the Profoto Air Remote TTL-O and the E-M1 Mark II, E-M5 Mark II and PEN-F models. The Profoto Air Remote TTL-O wirelessly integrates the Profoto Air TTL Flash with these cameras, providing Olympus users with seamless integration with products from one of the leading manufacturers of lighting and light-shaping tools. Simply attach the Profoto Air Remote TTL-O to the hot shoe for quick remote control of all functions. For more information on which functions can be used, please see the Profoto website: http://profoto.com
- “Save Settings and Mysets” function saves camera settings on the user’s computer
The convenient “Save Settings and Mysets” function has been added to the E-M5 Mark II and PEN-F to easily save the user’s customized settings on their computer and restore them on the camera when necessary. This feature is useful for applying the same settings to multiple cameras and saving complex settings when upgrading firmware.
- Midtone adjustment function added to Highlight & Shadow Control
The new midtone adjustment function has been added to the Highlight & Shadow Control on the E-M5 Mark II to provide control over bright and dark sections of a subject and to give users complete control over the tonal properties of the image.
- AF Target Spot Metering provides spot metering at the focus point
AF Target Spot Metering is now available on the E-M5 Mark II to effectively link the AF Target position and spot metering area.
- Touch to select Art Filters while viewing sample images on the screen
Sample images that demonstrate the effects of the Art Filter are now shown at the bottom of the PEN-F’s screen. Users can simply view and touch the sample Art Filter image on the screen to instantly activate that option.
- Set the shutter speed to begin raising the ISO sensitivity in ISO AUTO
It is now possible to control the lowest shutter speed setting on the PEN-F. This allows users to predefine a minimum shutter speed so that the ISO sensitivity increases in low-light situations rather than slowing down the shutter speed. This is convenient for handheld shooting in low-light environments.
- Improved AF Targeting Pad on the rear LCD monitor
The firmware update makes it possible to use touchpad operations on the PEN-F even if your nose touches the rear LCD monitor while looking through the viewfinder. The AF Targeting Pad provides the freedom to move the AF point on the rear LCD monitor using touch operations while keeping your eye on the viewfinder.
- High Res Shot and Focus Stacking Mode compatibility on non-Olympus flashes
The E-M1 Mark II’s powerful 50MP High Res Shot and Focus Stacking Modes are now supported with both Olympus flashes and flashes from other manufacturers.
- Automatic switching to rear LCD monitor when shooting with the viewfinder
When shooting through the E-M1 Mark II’s viewfinder during Rec View, the camera now automatically switches to the rear LCD monitor for image playback when the eye is moved away from the viewfinder.
- AF HOME settings saved when camera is turned off
Previously, AF HOME settings were reset after the E-M1 Mark II was turned off. The firmware upgrade saves the user’s AF HOME settings even if the camera is turned off.
Improved viewfinder color reproduction during shooting for the E-M1 Mark II lets users compose their image while viewing color more accurately.
Improved stability for battery level display for the E-M1 Mark II.