Nikon Releases NX Studio – Their New FREE Photo & Video Editing Software
This morning Nikon has announced the release of their new NX Studio software – a completely free photo and video editing platform that seems to have many of the features and tools found in Capture One & Adobe Lightroom but keyed more towards Nikon cameras.
From the press release (see below) the NX Studio application seems to merge the existing Capture ND-D and ViewNX-I applications into a single program, thus providing an easier and more robust user experience stating “NX STUDIO maintains the same user-friendly interface of previous Nikon software applications, while also improving upon operation by offering a functional yet simple consolidated menu design organized by workflow categories: browsing, processing/editing, and export/sharing. Additionally, Nikon has enhanced the overall response speed for each function to enable smoother processing of both still images and videos.” As for how accurate that statement is, well, we’ll just have to test it out and see! On that note, if you happen to test this app out before we do, let us know what you think in the comments below!
Read the Full Press Release Below:
Today, Nikon announced the release of NX STUDIO (Ver.1.0), a new all-in-one software which enables seamless viewing, processing and editing of still images and video captured with a Nikon digital camera. The new software is available to download for free beginning today.
With the new NX STUDIO computer software, users can enjoy the benefits of full-scale editing of still images, with a more intuitive operation and workflow. By integrating the functions of Nikon’s ViewNX-i* image viewing software and Capture NX-D* processing and editing software, NX STUDIO offers an intuitive yet highly functional single software solution.
The free NX STUDIO integrates a host of editing features to help users achieve their desired output, including picture controls, white balance settings, and exposure compensation for RAW data. Additionally, users can explore the benefits of color control points, which enables color adjustment to a specific area of a photo, as well as a retouch brush feature for advanced correction of an area.
NX STUDIO maintains the same user-friendly interface of previous Nikon software applications, while also improving upon operation by offering a functional yet simple consolidated menu design organized by workflow categories: browsing, processing/editing, and export/sharing. Additionally, Nikon has enhanced the overall response speed for each function to enable smoother processing of both still images and videos.
To further improve workflow and expand the possibilities of imaging expression, NX STUDIO supports the transfer of images to NIKON IMAGE SPACE, Nikon’s image sharing and storage service, and enables users to easily upload edited videos to YouTube.
- The viewing, processing, and editing of still images and video can be completed in one place, including JPG, TIFF and .NEF (RAW) files.
- Features a functional yet simple menu structure categorized by workflow
- Menu items and terminology match that of Nikon cameras, enabling easy-to-understand operation
- Features a variety of display options, such as filmstrip with both horizontal and vertical preview options, as well as a 2/4 screen comparison option, in addition to a simple and easy-to-read shooting information display
- Inherits XMP/IPTC information editing and preset management functions from “ViewNX-i”
- Incorporates detailed editing functions from Capture NX-D, including color control points that enable the adjustment of colors within a specified area, allowing for the precise editing of images
- Users can choose how adjustment information is saved, whether in a separate file using the sidecar file format or directly to the image itself
- Works with other software such as Nikon Transfer 2 and Camera Control Pro 2 for a smooth post-shooting workflow
NX STUDIO will continue to be updated with the release of future camera models to ensure continued support. To see system compatibility and download NX STUDIO for Windows* and Mac* at no-charge, please visit:https://www.nikonusa.com/nxstudio.