Update – Nikon Announces The Winners of The Second Year Of The $10,000 Storytellers Scholarship
This morning, Nikon Inc. began accepting applications for the second “Nikon Storytellers Scholarship,” which was created to support emerging content creators in their academic endeavors. Originally launched in December 2017, the Nikon Storytellers Scholarship awards ten eligible students with a $10,000 USD academic scholarship to help them in their growth as creators while also celebrating the power of visual storytelling.
“We are so excited to be able to continue to offer scholarship support to talented students across the US and Canada who are exploring their creative passions. In launching this program for a second year, Nikon is reaffirming its dedication to supporting and encouraging the next generation of creators in their pursuits to become the confident, fearless voices of tomorrow.” – Jay Vannatter, Executive Vice President, Nikon Inc.
In its first year, the scholarship received over 1,000 submissions from undergraduate and graduate students in the United States and Canada (see the list of winners below). Now, in 2019, Nikon is opening applications up again for eligible students to help foster their growth and pursue careers in creative fields.
The scholarship includes two stages of submissions. The first round consists of academic and professional references. If selected, students will advance to a semi-finalist round in which they submit an original piece of creative work to be evaluated by a committee of industry professionals. This year, building on its legacy of developing innovative optical technologies that help creators bring their creative vision to life in new and compelling ways, Nikon is challenging students to showcase what “Capture Tomorrow” means to them and how they are pushing the creative boundaries of their craft.
You must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible to receive The Nikon Storytellers Scholarship:
- You must be an undergraduate or graduate student at an accredited, non-profit college/university or vocational/technical school in the United States or Canada.
- You must complete your freshman year of college or academic equivalent prior to commencement of the 2019-2020 academic year.
- You must be majoring in visual arts, fine arts, journalism, film, photography, or multimedia/content creation.
- You must have a minimum cumulative 2.5 grade point average at time of application.
- You will need to provide a recommendation from a professor, teacher or academic advisor.
If you are selected as a semi-finalist, you will be asked to provide a photo portfolio or video submission, description of photo/video submission and copy of academic transcript.
The Nikon Storytellers Scholarship Key Dates (2019-2020)
- Application Open: January 29, 2019
- Application Deadline: March 1, 2019
- Recommendation Deadline: March 1, 2019
- Semi-finalist Open: March 18, 2019
- Semi-finalist Deadline: April 15, 2019
- Notification of Selection Results: June 2019
- Funds Disbursed: August 2019
*Timeline is subject to change at discretion of program sponsor
2018 Nikon Storytellers Scholarship Winners;
- Cassie Chang – California State University – Fullerton (Film)
- Carter Knopik – University of Nebraska – Lincoln (Film)
- Edward Ripley – Ryerson University (Photography)
- Ernest Pund – University of Southern California (Film)
- Jall Cowasji – New York University (Film)
- Leah de Leon – Chapman University (Film)
- Mushfica Masud – Feirstein Graduate School of Cinema (Film)
- Nicolas Antaya – Michigan State University (Journalism)
- Sofia Camargo Hoyos – New York University (Film)
- Zachary Krahmer – Syracuse University (Photography)
For more information on the scholarship program and details on some Frequently Asked Questions about the program, please visit http://programs.applyists.com/Nikon/.
Nikon Inc. is a world leader in digital imaging, precision optics and photo and video capture technologies; globally recognized for setting new standards in product design and performance for an award-winning array of equipment that enable visual storytelling and content creation. Nikon Inc. distributes consumer and professional digital SLR cameras, NIKKOR optics, Speedlights and system accessories, Nikon COOLPIX® compact digital cameras and Nikon software products, as well as the revolutionary Nikon Z series of mirrorless cameras and NIKKOR Z lenses, which achieve a new dimension in optical performance. In 2018, Nikon Corporation, the parent company of Nikon Inc., announced the production of 110 million NIKKOR lenses, creating a new milestone in Nikon’s heritage of superior optics. For more information, dial (800) NIKON-US or visit www.nikonusa.com, which links all levels of photographers and visual storytellers to the Web’s most comprehensive learning and sharing communities.
–UPDATE– Winners Announced!
Nikon is excited to announce the ten recipients of the 2019-2020 Nikon Storytellers Scholarship program! Now in its second year, the Nikon Storytellers Scholarship awards each student with a $10,000 academic scholarship to support their growth as creators and celebrate their commitment to visual storytelling.
Through the Storytellers Scholarship, Nikon is investing in the next generation of visual storytellers. To further show their commitment for emerging content creators, Nikon also launched the Follow Your Passion Video Contest this summer, which invites aspiring filmmakers to submit videos for the chance to win Nikon gear and cash prizes. Nikon is accepting submissions until August 31st.
“We are thrilled to recognize the accomplishments of these ten emerging visual artists,” said Jay Vannatter, Executive Vice President, Nikon Inc. “The Nikon Storytellers Scholarship was developed to empower and support content creators as they seek to push creative boundaries and become the next generation of world-class visual storytellers.”
2019 Nikon Storytellers Scholarship Winners:
- Antonia Thornton – University of California – Los Angeles (Film)
- Carmen Vincent – Valparaiso University (Multimedia/Content Creation)
- Emilija Gasic – New York University (Film)
- Jessica Eve Rattner – University of California – Davis (Fine Arts)
- John A. Miller – New York University (Film)
- Laura-Ellen Adair – University of North Carolina School of the Arts (Film)
- Meiying Wu – University of California – Berkeley (Journalism)
- Monika Ivonne – University of California – Los Angeles (Film)
- Terri Griffin – Mount St. Mary’s College (Film)
- Yuan Yuan Zhang – New York University (Film)
The Nikon Storytellers Scholarship Judging Panel: This year’s judging panel included a diverse group of professional photographers, brand ambassadors and Nikon executives who were responsible for reviewing the creative portfolio submissions of the semi-finalists. The judges were tasked with evaluating the students’ proficiency at telling a compelling story, as well as the visual quality of their work.
“I was so impressed by the passion and imagination each of these emerging storytellers incorporated into their work,” said scholarship judge and Nikon Ambassador Todd Owyoung. “I was excited to be a part of this process and inspired by the new ways students are choosing to communicate their vision with the world.”
The Nikon Storytellers Scholarship judging panel included the following professionals:
- Amanda Mohammed – Director; Marketing & Communications, Nikon Canada
- Brandon Woelfel – Professional Photographer
- Daniella Zalcman – Documentary Photographer, Founder of Women Photograph
- Deb Sandidge – Professional Photographer, Nikon USA Ambassador
- DeShaun Craddock – Professional Photographer, Nikon #100 Member
- Joe McNally – Professional Photographer, Nikon USA Ambassador
- Kristine Bosworth – Manager; NPS Campus & Education Markets, Nikon Inc.
- Matthew Jordan Smith – Professional Photographer, Nikon USA Ambassador
- Michelle Valberg – Professional Photographer, Nikon Canada Ambassador
- Mike Corrado – Senior Manager; Pro Relations & Marketing Business Development, Nikon Inc.
- Reed Hoffman – Professional Photographer, Nikon School Graduates Group Moderator
- Sangeeta Day – Professional Photographer, Nikon #100 Member
- Tim Rasmussen – Digital Photo Editor, ESPN
- Todd Owyoung – Professional Photographer, Nikon USA Ambassador
- Tom Kennedy – Executive Director, American Society of Media Photographers
For more information on the latest Nikon products, please visit www.nikonusa.com.
$100 Off Premium
1,500+ Lessons, 30+ Workshops
33% Off Visual Flow
Designed by SLR Lounge & DVLOP
2020 Holiday Gift Guide
Ideas for All Budgets
Black Friday Deal Tracker