New Sigma Ceramic Filters, Adobe Launches LR Mobile 2.1(Daily Roundup)
Welcome to our roundup series where we will hit on several gear news and rumor topics each day. This gives you a chance to get caught up on all of the day’s news and rumors in one place. Make sure to check back daily for the latest gear news, rumors, and announcements.
Sigma Announces New Water Repellant Ceramic Protection Filters
Today, Sigma made a major announcement that is all about new glass, but not the lens kind of glass. Sigma’s announcement, in the form of a new line of WR (Water Repellant) Ceramic Protection filters, is the first time that my jaw has ever dropped over a lens filter.
These new filters are impressive to say the least. Boasting ten times the strength of a traditional chemically enhanced glass protection filter, these new WR clear glass ceramic filters are able to take more of a beating than any lens or filter I have ever seen. The following video just underscores that.
See what I mean? These new filters are impressive, and some of the key features are explained below:
- Scratch-resistant – Sigma’s Clear Glass Ceramic offers a Vickers hardness number of 700HV. The strength of the Clear Glass Ceramic is much stronger than chemically strengthen glass and is; 10 times stronger than conventional filters
- Thinner and lighter – This new protector is up to 50 percent thinner and is up to 30% lighter than previous Sigma filters
- High transmittance – Sigma’s Clear Glass Ceramic offers very high transmittance, making it ideal for use as optical glass
- Water- and oil-repellent coating – The water repellent coating reflects only 0.24 percent of visible light, thereby minimizing flare and ghosting. Its ability to repel both water and oil is also excellent, with water drops bouncing right off, and fingerprints easily to remove
“The Sigma WR Ceramic Protector is the latest example of Sigma’s dedication to innovative and first-to-market photography equipment,” said Mark Amir-Hamzeh, president of Sigma Corporation of America. “The new Clear Glass Ceramic protector is the first of its kind and the strongest material used in the industry. It will enable photographers to safeguard their lenses, while maintaining the impressive sharpness offered by high-quality glass, like our Global Vision line of lenses.”
Unfortunately, the pricing and availability for these new filters have not yet been released, so we have no idea when these will be available or how much they will cost. That said, I am still really excited about these filters… and that is not something I thought I would ever say about a lens filter.
Adobe Releases Lightroom Mobile 2.1 For iOS
Hot on the heels of Adobe making the Android version of Lightroom Mobile free to use without a Creative Cloud subscription, they now have a new update for the iOS version. The new features will definitely add some interesting features and functionality to the LR extension app.
Adobe Lightroom 2.1 Features
- iPad Pro support and support for iOS 9’s multitasking capabilities
- Point Curve mode for the Tone Curve and the Split Tone adjustments tool
- Support for 3D touch and a new widget to launch the Adobe built-in camera from the iOS Notification Center
- New shoot-through presets in the Adobe built-in camera and more.
One of the features that will no doubt stand out to iPhone 6s owners is the addition of 3D Touch support for added app functionality. This will be likely one of the first apps for photographers to take advantage of the new Apple technology.
Those of you with iOS devices who would like to get the update can do so manually here.
Last Minute Holiday Shopping?
It’s that time of year…cut off time for holiday ordering online. Have you managed to get all of your shopping done? If not, both of our preferred online retailers can still get your holiday gifts delivered before Christmas. There are always great deals to be found over on B&H and Amazon, so make sure to check out those two websites for all your holiday needs.
Also, don’t forget that the entire SLR Lounge Store is 30% off! Just use the code happyholidays30 at checkout.
What are your thoughts on today’s roundup? What news/rumors did we miss? What would you like to see covered in future roundups? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think!