It was towards the end of 2017 that Pentax announced a new fast 50mm prime for its Full Frame K-Mount cameras. There hasn’t been a hard marketing push behind this lineup of lenses so you couldn’t be faulted for forgetting that this was in the pipeline.
Nevertheless, Pentaxians should be thrilled to add it to the existing line up of zooms for the system. It adds some much needed speed so, if this is what you’ve been waiting for, here is a closer look at the lens.
– K-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
– Aperture Range: f/1.4 to f/16
– 1 Aspherical Element
– Anomalous Dispersion Aspherical Element
– Ultrasonic Motor SDM
– Aero Bright Coating II & HD Coating
– Front Element SP Coating
– Rounded 9-blade Diaphragm
– 15 Elements in 9 Groups
– Weather Sealed
– Minimum Focus Distance: 1.3′ / 39.62 cm
– Filter Thread Front: 72 mm
– Weight: 32.1 oz / 910 g
If you remember, there is a roadmap of lenses that includes another focal length to anchor the system; that being an 85mm f1.4 prime. Beyond that, future lens offerings remains unclear but the 50mm gives shooters the reassurance that the rest are coming.