To say that Nikon’s mirrorless offerings so far have been lackluster is putting it a bit lightly, but if the latest rumors are to be believed, then that could soon be changing. Something, I think, that both Nikonians and fans of mirrorless alike would welcome.
According to a report posted earlier on Nikon Rumors, the latest specs on the latest Nikon 1 V3 camera start with a complete redesign. The design, which matches up with the sketches we shared a while back, will be all black with the red Nikon swoosh under the shutter release.
More Nikon 1 V3 Rumored Specs
- New external grip that will not take any batteries, but will have a shutter button and front dial.
- Optical viewfinder w/ optional EVF
- Expeed 4a imaging processor
- Complete redesign, based on the sketch seen above
- The official announcement is expected in March (most likely in mid-March)
- New Nikkor 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD VR zoom lens
- 180° swivel LCD screen
- 18MP sensor
- Very Fast “Everything”
There is no word yet on if the new camera will sport a small sensor like the previous Nikon 1 designs or if it might feature an APS-C sized sensor, something that many people have requested.
Personally, I think that this is wonderful news. I wish Canon would follow suit and revamp their own mirrorless offering – though it appears more likely that Canon is abandoning mirrorless all together – at least for the time being.
[REWIND: Canon’s Loss Is Your Gain, The EOS M]
What are your thoughts on these rumored Nikon 1 specs? Do you think this could be what Nikon needs to get a foothold in the mirrorless market? Share your thoughts in a comment below to join the discussion.