There is so much more to investing in camera gear than the initial purchase. The true test of relevancy comes after years of use, when camera owners seek upgrades to solve the inadequacies of their gear and brands fail to live up to their promise of longevity.
With Canon’s launch of the 5D Mark IV we found that technological improvements aren’t the only reason to upgrade to the latest and greatest and, that there is in fact some weight to be placed in the ingenious firmware that these machines are comprised of. Fuji has always been a outstanding leader in this industry, paying attention to the needs of its customers and providing solutions both through the production of new gear and the engineering of innovative firmware.
[REWIND: PACING A FUJI X-T2 | SHOOTING DANCERS THROUGH RAIN & NYC CITY GRIME WITH OMAR Z. ROBLES]
Fuji has released a firmware update for the Fuji X-Pro2 and prove that they take their community requests very seriously, and that their investment in their brand extends past the hardware and tech of their cameras. With a whole slew of items in their changelog the ones that stand out in particular are the increased number of focus points, Eye Detection AF, compatibility for the EF-X500 shoe mount flash, improvements for AD tracking functionality, and enhanced optical image stabilization while using the electronic shutter.
Here is the full list of changes added to the firmware 2.0 update:
- The NUMBER OF THE FOCUS POINT has increased.(*) The options available are 91 POINTS(7×13) and 325 POINTS(13×25) on the NUMBER OF THE FOCUS POINT of the AF/MF SETTING in the Shooting Menu.
- Improvement of phase detection AF accuracy. By employing the new AF algorithm used in the X-T2, the AF accuracy has been improved.
- AF tracking function has been improved when CONTINUOUS L in the AF-C mode.
- In AF-C mode, AE function will work while pressing the shutter button halfway.
- AF tracking function works while CONTINUOUS shooting in the AF-C mode with the Electronic Shutter.
- AF tracking function works while CONTINUOUS H shooting in the AF-C mode instead of zone AF.
- STILL IMAGE(single frame shooting) is available when CONTINUOUS L in the AF-C mode.
- The focus point of Eye Detection AF has been changed to the eye closer to the camera.
- Compatibility with the Shoe Mount Flash EF-X500.(*) Additional functions like the multi-flash lighting, high-speed flash sync and so on can be used with the EF-X500. Accordingly, the FLASH SETTING and the Shooting Menu is dramatically changed.
- The items that can be assigned to the Quick Menu have changed.(*) FLASH FUNCTION SETTINGS and FLASH COMPENSATION have been added due to the compatibility with the Shoe Mount Flash EF-X500.
- The roles that can be assigned to the Function buttons have changed.(*) FLASH FUNCTION SETTINGS, TTL-LOCK and MODELING FLASH have been added due to the compatibility with the Shoe Mount Flash EF-X500.
- Addition of AUTO POWER SAVE.(*) AUTO POWER SAVE option has been added to the POWER MANAGEMENT of the Setup Menu. Select ON to save the power consumption and make the battery life longer.
- Addition of setting time in AUTO POWER OFF.(*) 15 SEC, 30 SEC and 1 MIN have been added to the AUTO POWER OFF of the POWER MANAGEMENT in the Setup Menu.
- S.S OPERATION option has been added to BUTTON/DIAL SETTING in the Setup Menu.(*) Select OFF to disable the shutter-speed fine-tuning using the command dials.
- Change of the CORRECTED AF FRAME in the OVF.(*) Specification of the CORRECTED AF FRAME of AF/MF SETTING in the Shooting Menu has been changed. OFF: The frame moves according to parallax to show the focus point. ON: The CORRECTED AF FRAME in the OVF is fixed on the recommended value described in the Owner’s manual. If the minimum focus range of the attached lens is greater than the recommended value, the frame is displayed on the position of the minimum focus range. *Upgrade the firmware of the lenses after the firmware of the camera is upgraded.
- The phenomenon is fixed that in rare cases the magnification of the OVF doesn’t switch appropriately when a lens is changed.
- The bright frame movement in the OVF has become more smoothly while zooming in and out.
- OIS function has been improved while using Electronic Shutter.
- The phenomenon is fixed that in rare cases frames of live view on a smartphone drop while using the application software “FUJIFILM Camera Remote”.
- The phenomenon is fixed that exposure sometimes doesn’t change appropriately in Aperture Priority AE while using an M MOUNT ADAPTER.