Canon 5D Mark IV Firmware Update | Fixes & Corrections
Canon’s 5D Mark IV users have been waiting for a significant firmware update to their workhorse cameras, and there was excitement when Canon recently released an update.
The update brings a host of bug fixes more than anything, and of course a bevy of support for the following lenses:
- TS-E 17mm f/4L
- TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
- TS-E 50mm f/2.8L MACRO
- TS-E 90mm f/2.8L MACRO
- TS-E 135mm f/4L MACRO
However, that’s essentially the extent of the changes, and two things 5D IV users have been asking to be addressed still do not feature: the small 4K crop and not being able to spot meter off center point. For those unaware, the 5D IV will only allow spot metering in that center point, perhaps as a function of Canon’s experience in ‘product differentiation’. The EOS 1DX Mark II offers said capability.
[Check out our Canon EOS R Vs. Canon 5D Mk IV Showdown]
However, these are certainly good reasons to update, and you can find the updates here, and see the full extent of changes below:
Changes in the Firmware
Firmware Version 1.1.2 incorporates the following improvements and fixes:
1. Support has been added for chromatic aberration correction, peripheral illumination correction, distortion correction, and Digital Lens Optimizer when using Digital Photo Professional to process RAW images captured with the following TS-E lenses: TS-E 17mm f/4L, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, TS-E 50mm f/2.8L MACRO, TS-E 90mm f/2.8L MACRO, or TS-E 135mm f/4L MACRO.
2. Fixes a phenomenon in which standard exposure may not be obtained, or an irregular exposure may result, when Silent LV (Live View) shooting with the following TS-E lenses: TS-E 50mm f/2.8L MACRO, TS-E 90mm f/2.8L MACRO, or TS-E 135mm f/4L MACRO.
3. Support for Exif 2.31 has been added.
4. Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera may not function normally when using the Camera Connect application to shoot a high frame rate movie.
5. Fixes a phenomenon in which error 80 may occur when HDR movies are shot using the Remote Live View Shooting function. (Applies only to Canon Log-supported cameras.)
(1) Once the EOS 5D Mark IV is updated to Version 1.1.0 (or later), it cannot be restored to a previous firmware version (Version 1.0.1 to 1.0.4).
(2) Cameras running Firmware Version 1.1.0 are cameras that have received the charged upgrade service to support Canon log at a Canon service center. Canon Log support will not be affected on cameras running Firmware Version 1.1.0 that are updated to Firmware Version 1.1.2 being released this time. For cameras running Firmware Version 1.0.4 or earlier, even if the firmware is updated to Version 1.1.2, Canon Log will not be supported. Users who wish to have their camera support Canon Log are asked to make a request for the charged upgrade service at a Canon service center.
(3) When using Version 4.7.10 (or earlier) of Digital Photo Professional to edit JPEG/RAW images captured with a camera updated to Firmware Version 1.1.2 (or later), some of the Exif data may be deleted. In addition, chromatic aberration correction, peripheral illumination correction, distortion correction, and Digital Lens Optimizer cannot be used when processing RAW images captured using a TS-E lens (TS-E17mm f/4L, TS-E24mm f/3.5L II, TS-E50mm f/2.8L Macro, TS-E90mm f/2.8L Macro, or TS-E135mm f/4L Macro). Please be sure to update Digital Photo Professional to Version 4.7.20 (or later) before performing image processing.