Last night Blackmagic Design announced the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, a new handheld digital film camera with a full Super 35 size 6K HDR image sensor, 13 stops of dynamic range, an EF lens mount and dual native ISO up to 25,600 for incredible low light performance. This new model builds on the popularity of the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K but has a larger Super 35 sensor size with 6K resolution, allowing higher image quality. The EF lens mount model works with a wide range of lenses from companies such as Canon, Zeiss, Sigma and Schneider.
Check Pricing & Availability Here
The elegant design of the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera packs an incredible number of high end digital film features into a miniaturized, handheld design. Made from lightweight carbon fiber polycarbonate composite, the camera features a multifunction handgrip with all controls for recording, ISO, WB and shutter angle right at their fingertips. Because it’s an advanced digital film camera, the sensor is designed to reduce thermal noise allowing cleaner shadows and higher ISO. Plus the large 5 inch LCD makes it possible to get perfect focus at 4K and 6K resolutions.
Featuring a larger 6144 x 3456 Super 35 sensor and EF lens mount, the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K lets customers use larger EF photographic lenses to create cinematic images with shallower depth of field, allowing creative defocused backgrounds and gorgeous bokeh effects. This means that customers can shoot in 6K and then in post production zoom and re-frame to allow wide shots and close ups to be created, all from a single camera and without losing image quality.
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K and 6K both have an incredible 13 stops of dynamic range which means they preserve more detail in the lightest and darkest areas of an image than simple video cameras can. This allows customers to set exposure for an indoor scene such as a cafe and still retain the details of bright outdoor light coming through a window. Customers even get more colors than the standard DCI-P3 color space used for feature films.
The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera features dual gain ISO up to 25,600, which means both the 4K and 6K models are optimized to minimize grain or noise in images, while maintaining the full dynamic range of the sensor. The native ISO of 400 is ideal for scenes with on-set lighting. The gain is set automatically as they adjust the ISO setting on the camera, so it’s easy to capture great images when they don’t have time to set up lights.
The new 6K model will shoot up to 50 fps at 6144 x 3456 16:9 or 60 fps at 6144 x 2560 2.4:1 and 60 fps at 5744 x 3024 17:9. For higher frame rates they can window the sensor and shoot up to 120 fps at 2.8K 2868 x 1512 17:9. Customers can even work in true anamorphic 6:5 using anamorphic lenses in 3.7K 60 fps at 3728 x 3104.
Additional Product Releases & details from Blackmagic
- A new handheld digital film camera with a full Super 35 size 6K HDR image sensor, 13 stops of dynamic range, an EF lens mount and dual native ISO up to 25,600 for incredible low light performance.
- This new model builds on the popularity of the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K but has a larger Super 35 sensor size with 6K resolution, allowing higher image quality.
- An EF lens mount model to work with a wide range of lenses from companies such as Canon, Zeiss, Sigma and Schneider.
- Includes Blackmagic Generation 4 Color Science. Blackmagic Generation 4 Color Science uses a complex dynamic 12-bit gamma curve designed to capture more color data in the highlights and shadows, so they get better looking images. The color science also handles some of the complex Blackmagic RAW image processing, so color and dynamic range data from the sensor is preserved via metadata which customers can use in post production.
- Includes full DaVinci Resolve Studio for post production.
- Available immediately from Blackmagic Design resellers worldwide for US$2,495.
UltraStudio 4K Mini
- A new capture and playback solution for Thunderbolt 3 computers with 12G-SDI, HDMI, analog video and audio connections that lets customers build solutions for editing, color grading, live broadcast graphics, archiving from traditional broadcast decks and live internet streaming.
- Available immediately from Blackmagic Design resellers worldwide for US$995.
DaVinci Resolve 16.1
- A new update to the company’s popular edit, color, visual effects and audio post production software that includes major updates to the new cut page to help create the worlds fastest editor.
- New updates allow editors to improve sorting of media.
- Smart Indicator adds UI feedback for intelligent edit features.
- New cut clip tool allows instant cutting of clips in the timeline.
- Boring Detector shows areas of the timeline that lack interest.
- New Sync Bin organizes and displays sync media for easy shot selection.
- Close up edit mode now includes face recognition to better frame shots.
- New sync window allows manual syncing of clips, or audio based sync.
- Public beta is available for download now from the Blackmagic Design website.
Blackmagic RAW Speed Test
- A new performance measurement tool for Mac OS X that tests a computer’s CPU and GPU speeds using full resolution Blackmagic RAW image decodes making it possible for customers to get a real world estimate of their computers performance.
- Available for download now from the Blackmagic Design website.
Modern Preset Pack
Give Your Images a Natural, Clean Style
Mood Preset Pack
Warm, Organic, Boho, Wanderlust Style
Crush Preset Pack
Give Images a Punch with Deep Blues
Pastel Preset Pack
Refined Film Emulation
Retouch, Dodge and Burn and Much More