Adobe Updates Lightroom, Lightroom Mobile & Camera Raw
It’s that time again, Adobe has released some updates to Lightroom and Camera Raw. Now, of course, it’s understandable that you approach these with a due sense of caution and dread, but the primary focus of these updates is to add support for new cameras and to issue fixes for customer related issues, and not to roll out a host of new features. The camera updates include the Pentax K-1, and the Sony RX10 III, which we’re hoping to have a review on soon.
On the more notable side is the fact that for Mac users currently running OS X Lion or Mountain Lion, this will be the last Camera Raw version to support those systems. Moving forward, Mac users will need to be running nothing earlier than Mavericks (10.9) if they wish to see the benefits of the updates.
*Please look over this list before jumping over to update. If you’re on a Mac and running 10.11 El Capitan with particular graphics cards, be aware that there is a known issue in both raw processing tools that causes flickers when moving adjustment filters.
To the pleasure of many, this Lightroom update is not solely for CC 2015.5.1, but subscribers but to Lightroom 6.5.1 also.
Bugs Fixed in Lightroom CC 2015.5.1 / 6.5.1
- Droplets not working as export actions
- Issues with incorrect folder permissions. Please see instructions to help correct user permissions issues.
- EXIF lens name not visible for some camera models. Please see instructions to reparse the Lens metadata after installing the update.
- Focus lost in the keyword panel when navigating to the next image
- Error when merging to HDR or Panorama from a collapsed stack
Removed dependencies on QuickTime for some video codecs on Windows.
Image flickers when moving an adjustment slider. Note that this only occurs when using certain AMD graphics cards (such as 6450M and 6970M) on Mac OS 10.11 (El Capitan). We are working with our partners to resolve this issue. In the meantime, you can workaround this issue by disabling “Use Graphics Processor” in Lightroom’s preferences.
Lightroom Mobile also gets some attention as no version 2.3 is available for both iPad and iPhone:
- Access and edit a photo from your Camera Roll faster. Select, edit in Lr, and share from your Camera Roll in fewer steps.
- Sorting made easier. Now, change the custom sort order regardless of your grid sorting view.
[REWIND: THREE WAYS TO SKIN A LIGHTROOM CATALOG]
Adobe Camera Raw
Bugs Fixed in Camera Raw 9.5.1
- EXIF lens name not visible for some camera models.
- Camera Raw would not launch under Mac OSX 10.7 and 10.8.
- Errors when using Camera Raw to tone HDR images from Photoshop. This occurred when converting 32-bit files to 16 or 8-bit files.
Image flickers when moving an adjustment slider. Note that this only occurs when using certain AMD graphics cards (such as 6450M and 6970M) on Mac OS 10.11 (El Capitan). We are working with our partners to resolve this issue. In the meantime, you can workaround this issue by disabling “Use Graphics Processor” in Camera Raw’s preferences.