Photography is a fine balance of technology, science, and art. It’s a philosophy. It’s perspective. Some even say it’s truth. Each image can take on a life of it’s own; and with such a unique, expressive, and subjective art form, there are bound to be a plethora of profound statements made about the subject. Below, we’ve listed a few of our favorite photography quotes. Feel free to add your favorite photography quotes to the comments section at the end of this article and/or feel free to express your original thoughts on the subject matter as well.
1. “You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” – Ansel Adams (portrait above)
2. “Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. – Cecil Beaton
3. “A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know.” – Diane Arbus
4. “The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.” – Dorthea Lange
5. “The camera doesn’t make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE.” – Ernst Haas
6. “Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.” – Henri Cartier Bresson
7. “There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” – Ansel Adams
8. “When photography was invented it was thought to be an equivalent to truth, it was truth with a capital T.” -Vicki Goldberg
9. “The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking.” – Brooks Anderson
10. “The camera’s only job is to get out of the way of making photographs.” – Ken Rockwell
11. “Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution.” – Ansel Adams
12. “Many pictures turn out to be limp translations of the known world instead of vital objects which create an intrinsic world of their own. There is a vast difference between taking a picture and making a photograph.” – Robert Heinecken
13. “Photography, fortunately, to me has not only been a profession but also a contact between people – to understand human nature and record, if possible, the best in each individual.” – Nickolas Muray
14. “Where there is perhaps a province in which the photograph can tell us nothing more than what we see with our own eyes, there is another in which it proves to us how little our eyes permit us to see.” –
15. “A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.” – Ansel Adams
- Instagram Gears More Toward Business & Now Rolling Out Su...
- PICR Is Aiming To Bring Clients To You & Help You Streaml...
- Photography Courses: 5 Essential Courses For Professionals
- Shooting Film Is The Last Word In Meditation | 'The Sound...
- Camera Sales Continue To Fall Because Your Emotions Matte...
- Reuters Enacts Ban On RAW Photos For Sake Of Speed & Ethics