According to the latest rumors coming out of tech land, the rumored iPhone 6 will likely ship featuring the Sony Exmor IMX220 sensor. The IMX220 is a sizable improvement over the cameras in the current iPhone 5s generation of phones, which feature 8mp sensors.
The Exmor IMX220 is a 13mp, 1/2.3″ sensor is capable of shooting 1080p video. 13mp is a nice jump over 8mp, and would likely mean a noticeable improvement in quality over the current generation iPhone cameras. That said, this could be seen as a disappointment to some.
Initially, rumors were that Apple would stick with the 8mp Sony sensor in the current iPhone generation, but would add IS to the lens module to improve images from the camera. That could still be the case, on the larger of the two iPhone 6 sizes (5.5″), but latest rumors state there will be no IS on the smaller (4.7″) model.
The iPhone 6 is expected to be announced this upcoming fall.
What are your thoughts on this rumor? Do you think a bump in megapixels is a good move from Apple, or would IS be the better upgrade? Leave a comment below.[via Mac Rumors]
- 4 New Sony FE Lenses and 2 Converters Coming for CP+
- Canon & Sony To Team Up On 50MP Sensor via Patent Sharing?
- Fujifilm Starting Development On Larger Sensor; Latest Le...
- Canon EOS M3, T6i, 11-24mm F/4L; All Could Be Announced N...
- Sony A7r Mk II To Feature New 50MP Sensor, Will Be Announ...
- Canon T6i/750D To Come In Two Variants? | Rumored Specs