When Canon announced the new EFS 10-18mm F/4.5-5.6 several weeks back, I think that many of us were surprised to see the inexpensive price tag. According to the lab test, MTF, and other lens test results, this is an great lens optically. For only $299, a serious consideration needs to be given. I just got my hands on the new lens last night for the first time, and so it’s now time for a quick unboxing and initial thoughts post on the new Canon 10-18mm F/4.5-5.6 IS STM.
Canon 10-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Unboxing and Initial Thoughts Video
As I mentioned in the video, this lens is completely plastic, and while built well, should not be expected to hold up to much – if any – abuse. I obviously can’t comment on the image quality or optics, given that I have not had much chance to shoot with it yet. But, if what I have seen from other sources holds up in my own testing, then this is definitely a lens that anyone with a Canon crop body should consider. Obviously, the F/4.5-5.6 variable aperture is not great for low light situations, but for daytime or long exposure shooting, this lens would likely make for a great option. The image stabilization and STM motor should pair this lens up nicely with something like the Canon 70D for video shooters.
Initial Thoughts Highlights/Recap
- All Plastic, including the lens mount
- Front Element extends/retracts based on focal length
- AF/MF switch feels solid
- IS switch feels solid
- Zoom ring is very smooth, does not stick
- Focus ring is smooth, does not have any hard stops
- Features a 67mm filter thread
Overall, I am impressed with this lens in every way. The only downside, as I have mentioned multiple times, is the build quality. This is simply not a lens that I can recommend to pros or semi-pros who need a lens to take abuse and keep on working. But if you just need a good wide angle lens with great image quality for the occasional shot or shoot, then this is definitely a lens that you should consider. Stay tuned for my full review on this lens in the coming weeks, and as always, if you have any specific questions about this lens feel free to leave a comment below and I will do my best to answer them.
- Just Released! Profoto B2 AirTTL Hands On and Initial Review
- Canon's 24mm Pancake 2.8 STM Lens Worth A Look?
- Metabones Speedbooster Ultra, Canon FD to Fuji X Edition...
- FuseChicken's ToGo Power Fab Could Save Your Bacon! | Review
- Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8 PRO DX Initial Thoughts
- Rokinon 50mm f/1.4 Lens Review | Best Budget 50mm Manual...