We knew that it was coming, we just did not know when. But the moment has finally arrived, Blackmagic has just announced/released its Camera Software version 1.5 update which among other things adds RAW video support to the Pocket Cinema Camera.
“Adding CinemaDNG RAW recording to the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera is incredible,” said Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic Design. “It’s amazing that we are now able to record the highest quality RAW images on such small SD cards! We think customers are really going to enjoy the extended creative flexibility that color grading wide dynamic range RAW files will bring to their productions!”
This is huge news for anyone who has purchased this camera or who has been waiting for this to happen before buying one. I fully expect a slough of new or updated reviews on this camera to hit the web soon as people start to download and test out the new RAW video recording.
Here are some things to note though if you are going to be trying this out:
- It is recommended that you use SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB for recording
- Since this is RAW video it is supported by Davinci Resolve, as well as Adobe’s Creative Suite programs such as Photoshop, Lightroom, and Speedgrade (I would assume).
- RAW video from the BMPCC is 12-bit Log CinemaDNG RAW
If you already own a BMPCC you can download this new update from Blackmagic from their website here. It is a free update, so no worries there. Stay tuned and be on the lookout for the first RAW video samples to start hitting the web soon!
- App Turns Your Trackpad Into A Pressure Sensitive Pen Tablet
- Elinchrom Parts Ways With Manfrotto Distribution, To Beco...
- Canon 50MP 5Ds And 5DsR Pre-Orders To Open Monday
- Leica Announces New 'Black Chrome' Summicron 35mm & Summi...
- New Think Tank Urban Approach Bags Aimed Squarely At Mirr...
- EyeFi Updates Its Mobi Pro Line with RAW Syncing